Fifth Harmony's 'Reflection' offers empowerment & inspiration despite mainstream sound

(Photo courtesy of Epic)
(Photo courtesy of Epic)

Fifth Harmony2-4

Girl groups have dominated the waves of radio and feminism for decades. From the Supremes to the Spice Girls to Destiny's Child, these women have used the powers of beat and harmony to inspire others to hone their inner goddess and demand respect.

This decade has brought about Fifth Harmony, yet another singing-competition-produced group of pop princesses who have already captured the hearts of tweens around the globe with bubblegum hooks and empowering lyrics. Many songstresses have come before Fifth Harmony, and the group's music shows that these diverse young ladies have clearly embraced the power of the girl group to influence positive perception and change.

(Photo courtesy of Epic) (Photo courtesy of Epic)

Fifth Harmony's style, presence and mission perfectly represent the aesthetic of this era in the same way its predecessors did. The question is not whether the girls will have influence, but whether that influence will define a new era of girl power in the same way the Beyoncés and Scary Spices of the music world did before them.

"Reflection," the quintet's first full studio album, officially dropped on Tuesday after being available to stream for free on iTunes radio since last week. However, the album's first single, "Bo$$," has been available in the U.S. since July 2014.

In fact, this single remains one of the more notable tracks on the album for its highly infectious beat and unforgettable references to powerhouses Michelle Obama and Oprah. "Bo$$" was the perfect preliminary introduction to the album's themes of ruthless independence and soaring confidence. The music video even opens with a trio of cliché phrases of empowerment: "Think like a boss. Dreams don't work unless you do. Find yourself, and be that".

The messages of self-sufficiency and positive self-image build even further through harmonious ballads such as "Suga Mama," which is lyrically reminiscent of other classic independence jams such as TLC's "No Scrubs" and Destiny's Child's "Bills, Bills, Bills."

In “Brave Honest Beautiful,” the girls collaborate with Meghan Trainor to address the relentless seasons of low self-esteem so prevalent in today’s youth, encouraging listeners to “remind yourself / that you’re amazing, babe."

The girls also offer giddy, energetic proclamations of youthful love and infatuation through "Everlasting Love" without sacrificing the mindset of total self-sufficiency (as exemplified in “Going Nowhere”). However, “Sledgehammer,” the second single, remains one of the rhythmically strongest products of the entire album. It’s the perfect blend of classic bubblegum lyrics and pulsing beats that lures listeners of all ages in with its infectious energy.

The title track, “Reflection,” offers a total lyrical plot twist that could easily empower even a middle-aged listener; what appears to be a string of coy compliments to the object of one’s affections ends up being a long-winded acknowledgment of one’s fabulous reflection in the mirror.

Overall, “Reflection” is a powerful hybrid of positivity and sass that sets the stage for Fifth Harmony to find major success in coming years, at least within the tween demographic.

Although the lyrical focus on modern trends (i.e. the "nae nae," Instagram) and mainstream vibe of the music as a whole don’t do much at all to distinguish the girls from the crowd, their strong feminine energy should continue to strengthen the battle against self-deprecation and girl-shaming.

Reach the reporter at celina.jimenez@asu.edu or on Twitter @lina_lauren.

×