Mat Kearney's 'Just Kids' debuts with new sense of positive energy, relatable lyrics

(Photo courtesy of Republic Records)
(Photo courtesy of Republic Records)

(Photo courtesy of Republic Records) (Photo courtesy of Republic Records)

If you happen to be in the midst of composing a script for a young adult rom-com, consider using Mat Kearney's latest album as a soundtrack and as thematic inspiration.

"Just Kids," Kearney's fifth studio album, offers a breezy glimpse into classic matters of the heart and spirit that young people can relate to especially strongly.

Lyrically, Kearney seems to draw on his own experiences and thoughts growing up and uses them to weave optimistic stories that speak directly to those in similar situations.

"Heartbreak Dreamer," for instance, includes a thoughtful segment of spoken word that speaks to a variety of diverse life situations, including "retired elderly Wal-Mart store front door greeters," "the 2-year-olds who cannot be understood because they speak half-English and half-God" and "the midnight bike riders trying to fly."

Kearney's lyrics imply a desire to encourage those whose struggles manifest in many different forms. "Do not let one moment go by that doesn't remind you that your heart beats hundred thousand times a day," he encourages.

This album also offers a strong taste of Kearney’s slightly hip-hop vibes, and many of his songs feature at least portions of rapping done by Kearney himself. However, Kearney’s rapping remains rhythmic yet relaxed, and it doesn’t feel like he’s trying too hard.

Meanwhile, “Just Kids” offers a heavier bass with a refreshing spin on Kearney’s happy, twinkly classics such as his older singles “Ships In The Night” and “Hey Mama.” In fact, the song “Just Kids” is the perfect testament to Kearney’s lyrical nostalgia, reflecting a wholesome “what if” scenario that discusses a mature relationship through the lens of a stage of life that is simpler and sweeter.

These sentiments are enhanced as Kearney sings of “two kids with cement living down in their souls / they say what gets caught when you’re young stays there when you’re old.”

Another note-worthy song is “The Conversation,” which features Young Summer and and quite literally showcases a harmonious conversation between two unsatisfied lovers struggling to find a balance in the midst of a relational struggle. The song ends with a glimmer of hope as the duo sings, “If our love is a hurricane / Broken phones and broken doors / Baby you know I can stand the rain / Let it lift us off the floor.”

Although his sound hasn’t evolved immensely since 2011’s “Young Love,” a lack of major evolution serves Kearney’s artistry well. “Just Kids” manages to offer more of his signature honest lyrics and optimistic undertones.

Overall, "Just Kids" should more than satisfy long-time Kearney fans and provide relatable, positive jams for open-minded music lovers looking for a fresh new fan base to join.

Although Kearney's music isn't insanely unique, it still stands out from the regular mainstream pop music world by combining diverse, catchy melodies with honest, wholesome lyrics.

Reach the reporter at celina.jimenez@asu.edu or on Twitter @lina_lauren.

×