Netflix Alternatives: 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' and more

(Photo courtesy of Columbia Pictures)
(Photo courtesy of Columbia Pictures)

Imagine this: Friday rolls around and you decide you want to go to the movies. There’s only one problem. You look up the week’s new releases, and none of them strike your fancy. Feeling disappointed, you open Netflix and scroll endlessly trying to find something that grabs your attention.

Each week, reporter Shane Weinstein takes a look at what major motion pictures are hitting theaters and offers suggestions of alternate films to take in on Netflix. Here are his alternatives for the week of Feb. 20, 2015.

New This Week: “Hot Tub Time Machine 2” (Starring Craig Robinson, Rob Corddry, Adam Scoot and Clark Duke)

Netflix Alternative: “Not Another Teen Movie” (2001, starring Chris Evans, Jamie Presley and Eric Christian Olsen )

Craig Robinson and the rest of the crew returns to theaters with the sequel to their 2010 hit, “Hot Tub Time Machine.” This time though, the gang finds themselves without John Cusack, and instead with Adam Scott joining the group in his place by playing Cusack's character's son. If the film’s style of sophomoric humor fits yours, but you just weren’t a fan of the first film, Netflix has the perfect alternative in “Not Another Teen Movie.” The film, which is in the vain of parody flicks such as the “Scary Movie” franchise, takes aim at how high school is depicted in movies, playing up on all of the usual stereotypes while turning them into a hilariously self-aware comedy. If you find yourself in need of a laugh this weekend, “Not Another Teen Movie” is definitely a solid choice.

New This Week: “McFarland, USA” (Starring Kevin Costner)

Netflix Alternative: “Rudy” (1993, starring Sean Astin, Jon Favreau and Ned Beatty)

New this week is Disney’s “McFarland, USA,” starring Kevin Costner as the track coach at a high school in 1987 who leads his team through adversity and helps them win a championship. Based on a true story, the high school in the film went on to reach the championship more than 20 times. If track isn’t quite your sport, Netflix offers another classic athletic film in “Rudy.” The 1993 film portrays the adversity Daniel E. “Rudy” Ruettiger faced during his road to playing for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. If you’ve never seen the film, it’s an absolute must-see and for those who have, it’s never a bad time to revisit it. This weekend is a perfect opportunity to do either if Costner’s latest isn’t for you.

That’s it for this week. Be sure to check back next week when I have alternates for “Focus” and “The Lazarus Affect.”

Reach the reporter seweinst@asu.edu or on Twitter @S_Weinstein95.

×