Pac-12 men's basketball power rankings: ASU holds firm after weekend split

uaThe Wildcats responded to their loss in Tempe resoundingly, as many expected. Balanced scoring outputs lends itself to confidence in Tucson that this year's team may have what it takes to take the next step come the end of the season. Four of Arizona's final six games are at home, so it should be smooth sailing from here on in.

utah

As dominant as ever in Salt Lake City, the Utes swept away the Bay Area schools to keep pace with Arizona. Utah's defense has been consistently great and has not allowed an opponent to score 70 points or more since opening night against Ball State.

oregon

The Ducks are slightly atop the cluster of teams in the middle of the Pac-12 standings thanks to the stellar play of senior guard Joseph Young. This weekend, the Ducks will play their only weekend series with the Mountain schools, but thankfully for Oregon, the games will be played in Eugene.

ucla

The surging Bruins are a completely different team than the one that lost five straight games in December and January and are back in the NCAA tournament picture. A trip east to Arizona this week will be the hardest test the rest of the way and a sweep could ensure their ticket to the dance.

stanford

The Cardinal have lost four of their last five games and may be in danger despite being one of the most experienced teams in the conference. Senior guard Chasson Randle has not hit his point average since Jan. 31 and the team has gone in the same direction. He will need to find his shot if Stanford is to turn it around.

osu

The Beavers, who were once a dark horse team in the conference, have fallen on difficult times, losing four of their last six, including one to lowly USC. They have not scored 70 points in the conference season, which is not exactly a recipe for success for an entire year.

asu

The Sun Devils split a road trip that could have turned their season around, but at least moved the needle in the right direction a bit. An injury to senior guard Bo Barnes may prove costly if he is out for extended time, but having four of the team's last six games at home could prove major.

calThe Bears' five-game winning streak was snapped in Utah this weekend, but Cal is back. They haven't exactly played the elite of the league in that stretch, but wins are wins and Cal desperately needed them.

colorado The Buffaloes beat a good team in Stanford this weekend, so that is one thing this team can look at as a positive. The underachieving Buffaloes have won just one road game this season, and that was in triple overtime.

wsuThe Cougars have been better in Pac-12 play this year than they were in out-of-conference play, but not by much. Pullman has proven to be a tough place to play this year as WSU has won three games there against decidedly better opponents, but the Cougars just don't have it all there yet.

uw The Huskies have lost seven games in a row, which is the longest losing streak in Lorenzo Romar's time in Seattle. Since dismissing Robert Upshaw, Washington has been a boat set adrift upon a troubled sea and the struggles don't look like they'll end any time soon.

usc

The Trojans ended a 10-game Pac-12 losing streak with a convincing win at home over Oregon State. The reward? A trip to Tucson against powerhouse Arizona. USC will have to focus and play maybe the best game any of the players on the roster have ever played to get a win. At least the streak is over.

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or on Twitter @Tonis_The_Tiger.

×