Pop Culture Mischief: Oscars recap, ‘Dancing with the Stars,’ and more

ENTER MOVIE-OSCARS 153 LA
Lady Gaga arrives at the 87th Annual Academy Awards on Sunday, Feb. 22, 2015, at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood. (Francis Specker/Landov/TNS)

Pop Culture Mischief

It can be hard to keep up with everything going on in pop culture. Join reporter Zackary Moran-Norris each week for a round-up of some of the largest stories of the week so your references can always stay relevant.

Lady Gaga arrives at the 87th Annual Academy Awards on Sunday, Feb. 22, 2015, at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood. (Francis Specker/Landov/TNS) Lady Gaga arrives at the 87th Annual Academy Awards on Sunday,
Feb. 22, 2015, at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood. (Francis
Specker/Landov/TNS)

Oscars 2015

The 87th Academy Awards, hosted by Neil Patrick Harris, featured inspirational acceptance speeches, moving musical performances and some surprise winners. The star-studded night appropriately kicked off with a musical number which included Jack Black, Anna Kendrick and the host himself. One of the highlights of the night was the powerful acceptance speech given by Patricia Arquette after winning the award for best supporting actress. Arquette spoke on wage equality, which resonated with the audience. Another moving speech came from Graham Moore, who wrote the adapted screenplay for “The Imitation Game,” which won in its category. For the musical performances of the night, Lady Gaga’s “Sound of Music” tribute and John Legend and Common’s performance of “Glory” easily surpassed any other musical performance of the night. The night ended with Sean Penn announcing that “Birdman” had won the award for best picture, closely beating other contenders like “Boyhood” and “American Sniper.”

Cast of ‘Dancing with the Stars’ Season 20 announced

The new cast for the next season of “Dancing with the Stars” was revealed Tuesday morning on ABC’s “Good Morning America.” The new cast will include familiar faces like “Shark Tank” investor Robert Herjavee, television star Suzanne Somers, musician Patti LaBelle and Olympic champion gymnast Nastia Liukin. Some more surprising contestants include Redfoo, singer of musical duo LMFAO, “Hunger Games” actress Willow Shields and American football player Michael Sam. Fresh faces include U.S. Army veteran Noah Galloway and Charlotte McKinney, the model from the popular Carl’s Jr. super bowl ad. The 12th and final contestant of the season has not been announced yet, but rumors are already beginning to spread with “Bachelor” Chris Soules as a prominent name in the discussion. Season 20 of “Dancing with the Stars” will premiere on ABC on March 16.

Kanye West defends Kim Kardashian in beef with Amber Rose

After a candid radio interview earlier this week, a battle royale was triggered when Kanye West said that after dating Amber Rose, he had to take 30 showers in order to begin dating Kim Kardashian. Instead of attacking West directly, Rose quickly retaliated by bringing up the reality television star’s infamous sex-tape on Twitter. The feud can be traced back to when Rose called the reality television star a “whore,” while also criticizing 17-year-old Kylie Jenner for dating 25-year-old rapper Tyga on Power 105’s “The Breakfast Club," the same radio show where Kanye made his comments. There aren't signs that the feud is going to subside anytime soon, but the question as to why Rose continues to attack Kim K rather than West remains a mystery.

Reach the reporter at zmoranno@asu.edu or follow @thezackarymoran on Twitter.

×