Pop Culture & Politics: Patriots win, Republicans lose

Pop Culture Politics

In case you live in a hole on the other side of the world, here’s a recap of the insane events that had Seattle Seahawks fans reaching for a defibrillator.

The New England Patriots were up 28-24 going into the fourth quarter, but the Seahawks are known for its fourth quarter comebacks. If the Seahawks scored, the game would likely be over.

After an incredible, juggling catch by wide receiver Jermaine Kearse, the Seahawks found themselves at the five-yard line with just over a minute left on the clock. All the team had to do was find a way to run the ball to the end zone, which happens to be the specialty of Seahawks star running back Marshawn Lynch.

But instead of handing the ball of to Lynch, Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll calls for a pass.

Patriots’ Malcolm Butler intercepts the ball at the 1-yard line, effectively winning the game for the Patriots and leaving Seahawks fans either in tears or grabbing pitchforks to go after Pete Carroll.

Meanwhile, Republicans in Congress have been pushing to pass a bill that would fund the Department of Homeland Security, but also cancel Obama’s immigration plan. Because how could anyone vote against funding our homeland defense? A fine example of pork barreling and the reason Congress accomplishes so little.

Not surprisingly, the bill passed in the House of Representatives due to Republicans recently winning back a majority during the midterm elections in November 2014.

But once this bill was sent over to the Senate, the Democrat minority was able to block the bill from even reaching the Senate because Republicans did not secure the 60-vote majority needed for open debate.

(AP U.S. Government recap: There must be at least 60 senators who agree the bill is worth debating. Then voting on the bill is sent back to the House of Representatives.)

Now here’s the funny part. If you think of Obama and the Democrats as the Patriots, and Republicans and their bill as the Seahawks, everything matches.

Let’s break it down step by step.

The precedent:

Patriots are ahead going into the fourth quarter.

Obama announces his immigration plan, an executive order, meaning he doesn’t have to answer to anyone, except the Constitution.

Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson is basically responsible for the team being down because he couldn’t complete a pass in the first half, just like Speaker of the House John Boehner failing to thwart Obama’s plan before it was announced.

The power play:

Seahawks manage to make it to the five-yard line thanks to Kearse’s catch. Republicans manage to pass a bill through the House that satisfies their motives to cancel Obama’s immigration plan, but still fund the Department of Homeland Security.

Then, BAM. Interception by the Patriots! And BAM! The bill is blocked by Senate Democrats.

The only question remaining is, when’s the brawl going to happen?

But despite Speaker Boehner trying to sue Obama, it’s pretty clear what the outcome of this game is going to be.

Reach the reporter at enichol3@asu.edu or follow @LizNichols4 on Twitter.

LikeThe State Presson Facebook and follow@statepresson Twitter.

×