Eric Rivard leads ASU hockey against Colorado State

Junior forward Kory Chisholm is fouled by Arizona on, Saturday, Jan. 31, 2015, at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe. The Sun Devils defeated the Wildcats 7-2. (Ben Moffat/The State Press)

Junior forward Kory Chisholm is fouled by Arizona on, Saturday, Jan. 31, 2015, at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe. The Sun Devils defeated the Wildcats 7-2. (Ben Moffat/The State Press) Junior forward Kory Chisholm is fouled by Arizona on, Saturday, Jan. 31, 2015, at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe. The Sun Devils defeated the Wildcats 7-2. (Ben Moffat/The State Press)

The No. 1 ASU hockey team (29-3-1) proved it was deep after the wins last weekend against No. 22 Arizona (11-17-3) and again Thursday against No. 21 Colorado State (14-18-3).

The Sun Devils dominated the Rams making it the third strong win since temporarily losing six key players to the World University games.

This was freshman goalie Jordan Gluck’s first time in the net since Nov. 7 when the team played Rutgers University. He only let three goals in tonight, the same amount he let in back in November.

The first period started off quite slow, but that didn’t stop the Rams from being the first on the board with a goal from forward Chris Guidotti off the assist from forward Hunter Perry within the first 3 minutes of the game.

It was one of the cleanest periods all season with just one penalty called on ASU freshman defenseman Gianni Mangone for high-sticking. Despite being on the power play, Colorado State was unable to get the puck in the net.

ASU, back at full strength, scored 2 minutes later with a solid pass from sophomore defenseman Drew Newmeyer to sophomore forward Tommy Cooney who sent it in, tying up the game 1-1.

The Rams might have taken the early lead, but the Sun Devils made sure they had the lead at the end of the opening period with back-to-back goals.

With eight minutes left in the first period, sophomore forward Eric Rivard got his first goal of the night off the assist from senior forward Liam Norris. A 2-1 lead just wasn’t enough for ASU and not even a minute later they pushed ahead even further with an unassisted goal from freshman forward Connor Mailey on the breakaway.

Both teams had an equal amount of scoring opportunities with 12 shots on net from ASU and 11 from Colorado State.

The Sun Devils brought the same amount of energy in the middle period as Rivard and Newmeyer pushed ASU ahead another goal within the first five minutes. Newmeyer had another solid pass allowing Rivard to score his second goal of the night.

ASU was unable to capitalize on a power play that followed that goal. Colorado State forward Erik Waring was sent to the box for roughing. During this power play Mangone was down after taking a hard hit to the face and was slow to get back on his feet. He was off the ice for a while and was back on the ice about four minutes later.

Not even back on the ice for two minutes, Mangone got into a scuffle with Colorado State forward Nicholas O’Donnell and ASU goton the power play after O’Donnell was sent to the box for roughing. ASU was unable to capitalize on that power play either but had another coming just a short minute later.

ASU was shortly back on the power play after sophomore forward Michael Cummings took a hard hit and Colorado State was sent to the box for boarding. With a minute left in that power play, the Sun Devils put another one on the scoreboard with sophomore forward David Norris’s first goal of the night off the assists from Rivard and Newmeyer.

Colorado State responded just seven seconds later with a goal from forward Justin Schneeberger after the puck ricocheted off his stick and the assist went to defenseman Jackson Wilson. The Sun Devils led the Rams 5-2 in the late second period.

Both teams made sure they had another goal before the period ended. With four minutes left in the middle period, ASU junior forward Coda Engbar pushed the Sun Devils 6-2.

With just under two minutes left in the period, the Rams shortened the lead back down to three with a strong goal from forward Austin Ansay.

The middle period ended with ASU leading 6-3.

The first goal of the final period wasn’t until about halfway through when ASU capitalized on another power play. With 12:18 left to play, O’Donnell was sent to the box again, but this time for cross checking.

Rivard took his third and final goal of the night after putting the puck top shelf off the assist from David Norris in the middle of the final period. The last time Rivard had a hat trick was back on Sept. 26 when the team dominated the West Chester Golden Rams.

That was the last goal of the night and the Sun Devils beat the Rams 7-3.

ASU will continue its away weekend Friday and Saturday night against No. 18 Colorado (11-12-2). Both games are expected to start at 7:30 p.m.

Three Stars

Third Star: Jordan Gluck (3 GAA, 27 shots saved)

Second Star: Drew Newmeyer, ASU (three assists)

First Star: Eric Rivard, ASU (three goals – hat trick, one assist)

Additional Notes

- Rivard got his second hat trick of the season.

- Gluck had his second best game of the season (out of 3) saving 90 percent of shots on net.

- This is the third win for ASU against Colorado State this season and leaves them 3-0 this season.

Reach the reporter atkewens@asu.eduor follow@katlynewenson Twitter.

LikeState Press Sportson Facebook or follow@statepresssporton Twitter.

×