Signing Day sets ASU football up for Ohio State-esque 'problem'

With the rush of National Signing Day in the rear-view mirror, ASU finds itself with something in common with reigning national champion Ohio State.

This season, the Buckeyes discovered almost by accident that they had three quarterbacks on their roster capable of starting for nearly any other Top 25 team.

Braxton Miller was expected to be the starter before injuring his shoulder before the season. Before his injury, he was considered to be a Heisman trophy contender.

In stepped J.T. Barrett, who, after a slow start, set the nation on fire with a strong arm and quick feet. Barrett himself played his way into the Heisman trophy conversation before a broken leg ended his season in the final regular season game.

Cardale Jones arrived to fill that void, winning all three of his starts as the Buckeyes rolled through the Big Ten title game then upset No. 1 Alabama in the first round of the College Football Playoff and finally upset Oregon to win the national championship.

IanBeck2-4

Having three quarterbacks the quality of Miller, Barrett and Jones is a problem in the loosest sense of the word. Barring a repeat rash of injuries, only one of those three phenoms will get consistent playing time. Choosing between them will be the toughest choice Urban Meyer must make this upcoming spring.

But ASU head coach Todd Graham might very well have a similar choice to make in a few years, given the recruiting class he just put together.

This year's class, which has been ranked consistently in the Top 25 by the major sites that rank such things, features two quarterback prospects who could have a big impact in the coming years.

First is four-star Brady White out of Newhall, California, who Rivals.com ranked as the No. 2 pro-style quarterback in the country.

Second is local star Bryce Perkins, he of the state championship Chandler Wolves. Perkins is a three-star recruit ranked 20th among dual-threat QB's by Rivals.com.

Between these two prospects, the Sun Devils might very well have a Miller/Barrett/Jones dilemma on their hands once presumptive 2015 starter Mike Bercovici graduates.

According to Maxpreps.com, both White and Perkins put up eye-popping stats in their senior seasons.

White threw for nearly 4,000 yards and 45 touchdowns while completing 62 percent of his passes and posted an average of 310 yards per game.

Perkins, though, might have put together an arguably better stat line with 46 touchdowns, 13 fewer interceptions and nearly 700 rushing yards. He also posted a QB rating 32 points higher than White's.

What those stats tell you is that either way you slice it, these are two very talented quarterbacks.

As a redshirt senior, Bercovici has only one year of eligibility left, meaning this time next year ASU fans could be debating White over Perkins and vice versa.

Again, while the decision will be difficult, it's a problem any team in the country would love to have.

Other thoughts on Signing Day

• There was only one five-star prospect in the class, junior college transfer Davon Durant (Scout.com rankings). Durant, however, might be primed to make the most impact as he will likely have an inside track to fill the currently up-for-grabs Devil-backer position on the Sun Devil defense.
  • The unit that stands out most in this class is the linebackers. Along with Durant, ASU got four-star prospects Jay Jay Wilson and Khaylan Thomas.
  • Christian Kirk's choice of Texas A&M; over his hometown Sun Devils will sting. Not only could ASU have used a wide receiver as talented as Kirk (who was ranked 26th in the nation), but it is another failure to lock up prime in-state talent.
Reach the columnist at icbeck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @icbeck21.

×