Top 10 stories of January 2015

US NEWS NYCPARADE 6 ZUM
Jimmy Fallon and Cookie Monster entertain the crowd during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York on Thursday, Nov., 28, 2013. (Kristin Callahan/Ace Pictures via Zuma Press/MCT)

10. Downtown Phoenix streets closed for Super Bowl events

By JESSICA SUERTH

Street closures for the Super Bowl XLIX as seen on Sunday, Jan. 25, 2015, in downtown Phoenix. Due to celebrations in preparation for the Super Bowl XLIX, downtown Phoenix closed Third Street between Washington and Monroe streets and Second Street between Washington and Jefferson streets. (Krista Tillman/ The State Press) Street closures for the Super Bowl XLIX as seen on Sunday, Jan. 25, 2015, in downtown Phoenix. Due to celebrations in preparation for the Super Bowl XLIX, downtown Phoenix closed Third Street between Washington and Monroe streets and Second Street between Washington and Jefferson streets. (Krista Tillman/The State Press)

With the New England Patriots and the Seattle Seahawks taking on Super Bowl XLIX, fans from all over the country will be coming to Phoenix to view the game and celebrate the many events that come along with it.

9. ASU officer who arrested English professor receives termination notice

By SHELBY SLADE

The ASU Police Department headquarters is seen in Tempe on Tuesday, Sept. 30, 2014. The department is under criticism for acquiring 70 M-16 assault rifles through a Pentagon surplus program. (Photo by Ben Moffat) The ASU Police Department headquarters is seen in Tempe on Tuesday, Sept. 30, 2014. (Ben Moffat/The State Press)

The ASU police officer accused of using excessive force against a University professor in May has received notice that ASU is terminating his employment, his attorney confirmed.

Last summer, Officer Stewart Ferrin attempted to stop English professor Ersula Ore for jaywalking. Ore refused to show identification and kicked Ferrin in the shin several times before she was arrested.

8. ASU officer in arrest video to be fired Wednesday

By CORINA VANEK

Photo courtesy of Ellen Streiff. Photo courtesy of Ellen Streiff.

ASU police officer Stewart Ferrin, made infamous by the now viral video of him arresting assistant professor Ersula Ore, will be officially terminated from the ASU Police Department on Wednesday.

Ferrin and his attorney, Mel McDonald, have already begun appealing the termination after Ferrin received notice of his termination in early January.

7. ASU hockey to honor deceased young hockey player during 2015 season

By FABIAN ARDAYA | Video by BENJAMIN MARGIOTT

Forward Mak Barden's helmet displays the "Playing for Patrick" sticker as the team remembers him on Thursday Jan. 22, 2015, against the Stony Brook Seawolves at Oceanside Arena in Tempe. (J. Bauer-Leffler/The State Press) Forward Mak Barden's helmet displays the "Play for Patrick" sticker as the team remembers him on Thursday Jan. 22, 2015, against the Stony Brook Seawolves at Oceanside Arena in Tempe. (J. Bauer-Leffler/The State Press)

After her 14-year-old cousin, Patrick Schoonover, died while playing hockey, business entrepreneurship freshman McKenzie Nelson recruited the ASU hockey team to "Play for Patrick."

6. Top 6 2016 presidential election candidates: players and failures

By HARRISON FINZEL

Former Sen. Hillary Clinton takes the stage during the Harkin Steak Fry in Indianola, Iowa, on Sunday, Sept. 14, 2014. (Zach Boyden-Holmes/MCT) Former Sen. Hillary Clinton takes the stage during the Harkin Steak Fry in Indianola, Iowa, on Sunday, Sept. 14, 2014. (Zach Boyden-Holmes/MCT)

The election season is starting up again (isn’t it always doing that?) and columnist Harrison Finzel consulted their seer‘s stone, Magic 8 Ball and vice-presidential voodoo dolls (how else do you explain all of Joe Biden’s faux pas?) to bring you their predictions for the 2016 presidential elections and the candidates who will be featured in next year’s race to the top. And bottom.

5. Undergraduate Student Government campaigns to bring Jimmy Fallon to ASU

By SHELBY SLADE

Jimmy Fallon and Cookie Monster entertain the crowd during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York on Thursday, Nov., 28, 2013. (Kristin Callahan/Ace Pictures via Zuma Press/MCT) Jimmy Fallon and Cookie Monster entertain the crowd during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York on Thursday, Nov. 28, 2013. (Kristin Callahan/Ace Pictures via Zuma Press/MCT)

The Tempe Undergraduate Student Government is hoping to bring Fallon to ASU if its social media campaign, #ASUTonight, proves successful. Tempe USG is asking students to tweet and Facebook Fallon on Wednesday, Jan. 21, and will be talking to students on campus about the campaign.

4. Anti-Islamic, immigration posters found around ASU’s Tempe campus

By JESSICA SUERTH

(Handout photo) (Handout photo)

National Youth Front, an “elite youth organization dedicated to the preservation of America,” began posting fliers around the Tempe campus advocating for a declaration of war against immigration.

3. Francesco Molinari scores hole-in-one at Phoenix Open

By BILL SLANE

Francesco Molinari reacts after missing a put on the 12th hole during the third round of the 2014 U.S. Open at Pinehurst No. 2 in Pinehurst, N.C., Saturday, June 14, 2014. (Chris Seward/Raleigh News & Observer/MCT) Francesco Molinari reacts after missing a put on the 12th hole during the third round of the 2014 U.S. Open at Pinehurst No. 2 in Pinehurst, N.C., Saturday, June 14, 2014. (Chris Seward/Raleigh News & Observer/MCT)

Italy’s Francesco Molinari became the ninth golfer to record a hole-in-one on the 16th hole at TPC Scottsdale Saturday during the third round of the Phoenix Open.

“I think it’s just my third hole-in-one in my life, so to get one there, it is special,” he said. “And the reaction was just something else, something you don’t see in golf every day.”

2. Hundreds mourn loss of ASU student

By CORINA VANEK | Video by DEVIN CONLEY

Well-wishers leave their condolences at a pop-up memorial during a candlelight vigil for biomedical engineering senior Katelyn Conrad on Monday, Jan. 19, 2015, at Tempe's "A" Mountain. Conrad, a member of ASU's Outdoors Club, died Saturday in a rappelling accident in Tonto National Forest. (Ben Moffat/The State Press) Well-wishers leave their condolences at a pop-up memorial during a candlelight vigil for biomedical engineering senior Katelyn Conrad on Monday, Jan. 19, 2015, at Tempe's "A" Mountain. Conrad, a member of ASU's Outdoors Club, died Saturday in a rappelling accident in Tonto National Forest. (Ben Moffat/The State Press)

Hundreds of friends, family, classmates and professors gathered at the top of “A” Mountain to honor Katelyn Conrad, a 21-year-old biomedical engineering senior who was killed in a rappelling accident.

1. 10 new Netflix releases to kick off the new year

By RYAN SANTISTEVAN

(Photo Courtesy of Netflix) (Photo courtesy of Netflix)

Binge-watching Netflix is now socially acceptable, and these 10 new shows and movies will provide endless hours of fun to fight off post-holiday blues and procrastinate on start-of-semester homework. From "Mean Girls" to the latest season of "House of Cards," January brought great new content to the streaming service.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter

×