After Ducey's latest affront, ASU students must fight for the right to study

The Arizona Board of Regents is requesting more funding for the state university system for fiscal year 2014.  ASU is asking for $113 million from ABOR's budget proposal, which is now being reviewed by Gov. Jan Brewer and will be submitted to the Legislature in January. (Photo by Jessie Wardarski)
The Arizona Board of Regents is requesting more funding for the state university system for fiscal year 2014. ASU is asking for $113 million from ABOR's budget proposal, which is now being reviewed by Gov. Jan Brewer and will be submitted to the Legislature in January. (Photo by Jessie Wardarski)

The Arizona Board of Regents is requesting more funding for the state university system for fiscal year 2014.  ASU is asking for $113 million from ABOR's budget proposal, which is now being reviewed by Gov. Jan Brewer and will be submitted to the Legislature in January. (Photo by Jessie Wardarski) Arizona's budget could cut $106 million from universities and all funding from the state's three largest community college districts. (Jessie Wardarski/The State Press)

Through closed door meetings and the cutting of deals — the quintessential Arizona Republican aesthetic — the education system Gov. Doug Ducey vowed to protect and enhance during his days on the campaign trail has been tossed to the Republican masses where it will be beaten into submission and its funding will be cut beyond recognition. Rather than the initially anticipated $75 million in cuts to the budget, universities can expect to feel the backlash from $106 million in cuts if the new budget passes both Republican-led houses.

With cuts based on student population, ASU will take the brunt of them. Therefore, if this proposal passes, ASU will essentially be decapitated.

State universities are not alone in their plight. The deal would also cut all funding to Arizona's three largest community college districts in Maricopa, Pinal and Pima counties. Many students rely on community colleges to provide cheaper ways to take general education courses before going to a university, and these cuts may price them out of their path to a degree.

After campaigning on a promise to run the state like a business, Ducey has failed to enact one of the basic concepts of economics: making wise investments to ensure a stable and profitable future. Ducey and Arizona Republicans have made an all but official declaration that the education of future generations is less important than the feelings of millionaires on tax day.

Just last week, ASU President Michael Crow hid behind a computer screen to digitally shame Ducey and his administration for their utter disregard and hypocrisy handling education. “As presented, the Governor's recommendation for state investment in higher education signals to the state and the nation that higher education is a low priority in Arizona,” Crow wrote on Feb 27. He continued, “Cutting the state investment in higher education does not constitute a state strategy or vision for higher education in Arizona. It is merely a convenient but temporary ‘fix’ for the larger problems not being addressed by the State of Arizona.”

Unlike President Crow, it is time for students to get this message across using real manifestations of the simmering discontent with the Governor’s reckless disregard for education. His abdication of responsibility to his fellow Arizonans and their future generations needs to be addressed by all invested in higher education with strength, organization and a coherent goal that will result in meaningful change to protect the future of the Grand Canyon State.

Here are ways for students to get involved:

Register to speak to a House or Senate committee about pending legislation. Find the sign-up form on the Legislature's website and submit your request to speak or have your written comments read into the record.

Contact your representatives directly to share your concerns. Every member's phone number and email are listed on the website.

Join Thursday's rally at the state Capitol at 4:30 p.m. Hundreds of people are expected to attend the protest to demonstrate for increased funding for K-12 and higher education. ASU's Undergraduate Student Government Downtown will lead a march to the Capitol to join the rally at 3 p.m.

It is time for students to rally together against the evisceration of the right to education.

×