ASU football hires Shawn Slocum, Paul Randolph moves to administrative role

New ASU football special teams coordinator Shawn Slocum pictured (Photo courtesy of ASU)

New ASU football special teams coordinator Shawn Slocum pictured (Photo courtesy of ASU) New ASU football special teams coordinator Shawn Slocum pictured (Photo courtesy of ASU)

ASU football announced on Monday that defensive ends coach Paul Randolph will be moving into an administration role, while hiring Shawn Slocum to be the special teams coordinator and outside linebackers coach.

Randolph’s new title is associate athletics director for championship life. He will work under Jean Boyd, senior associate athletics director for student-athlete development.

Slocum was fired from the Packers after the NFC Championship game, during which the Packers allowed a fake field goal touchdown and a crucial onside kick recovery. He was the Packers’ special teams coordinator since 2009 and was a special teams assistant with the Packers since 2006.

He began his coaching career with Texas A&M in 1989 as a volunteer assistant and returned to the Aggies (1991-97, 2000-02) and coaches special teams, tight ends, linebackers and secondary at various times. He also coached at USC and Ole Miss.

"Shawn has 25 years of coaching experience to his credit, with almost all of that coming at the elite college level," ASU coach Todd Graham said in a statement. “We have enjoyed a high level of success, both offensively and defensively, and I have wanted to take our special teams play to a championship level. This hire accomplishes that. Shawn comes from a football family and he has coached and recruited at the highest competitive level. Shawn's addition will further complement the fine staff that we already have in place. This is the best coaching staff I have ever had as a head coach."

ASU had split special teams duties, with Chip Long being assigned to offensive special teams and Keith Patterson on defensive.

ASU special teams ranks in 2014 (football bowl subdivision; out of 125)

Kickoff return defense: 109

Kickoff returns: 13

Net punting: 76

Punt return defense: 114

Punt returns: 120

Blocked kicks allowed: 109

Randolph has been on Graham's coaching staff since 2006, which includes stops at Rice, Tulsa and Pittsburgh. Under Randolph, ASU had an aggressive defense, with the team ranking 13th in sacks per game in 2014 and ninth in tackles per loss per game.

“Anyone who knows me knows that for me it’s always been about the student-athletes,” Randolph said in a statement. “I am interested in developing young people, just like people did for me when I was young. My goal has always been to help young people reach their goals and fulfill their dreams. I’ve always done that as a coach and now I get to do it on a much larger scope. It has always been my purpose to help student-athletes improve themselves for a Championship Life. I’m excited about it, no doubt. I am very grateful to the administration in Sun Devil Athletics for allowing me to continue this quest while at ASU."

ASU said the personnel moves are pending until paperwork is complete.

Reach the sports editor at jmjanss1@asu.edu or follow @jjanssen11 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow@statepresssport on Twitter.

×