ASU sand volleyball drops four of five at Gamecock Invitational

Then-The ASU sand volleyball team is pictured at the PERA Club after a practice. 2014 is the first year for ASU sand volleyball. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez) Then-The ASU sand volleyball team is pictured at the PERA Club after a practice. 2014 is the first year for ASU sand volleyball. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez)

ASU sand volleyball was only able to pull away with one win over Carson-Newman (0-3) this weekend, but juniors Bianca Arellano and Macey Gardner walked away undefeated.

This weekend was one of the largest invitationals ASU will be at this season and the Sun Devils fell hard.

The Sun Devils started the Gamecock Invitational, hosted by South Carolina, against Florida State (9-3) on Friday morning. The team fell 4-1, with a win from Arellano and Gardner who defeated Florida State senior Melanie Pavels and junior Julie Brown 21-12, 19-21, 15-13.

South Carolina (10-3) also dominated against ASU but Arellano and Gardner stood strong with another three-set win, defeating Gamecock seniors Paige Wheeler and Megan Kent, 19-21, 23-21, 15-8.

Saturday morning came with another brutal loss for the Sun Devils as Georgia State crushed ASU 4-1, yet Arellano and Gardner were still able to walk away with their third win of the weekend. The dominating pair defeated juniors Jansen Button and Sara Olivova 21-18, 18-21, 15-21.

That afternoon, things started to look up for ASU as it blew right past Carson-Newman 5-0, for the team's first and only win of the weekend. Every Sun Devil pair was able to destroy the Eagles in two sets including Arellano and Gardner who defeated junior Sara Fairley and senior Kristen Pickett.

On Sunday, the last day of the invitational, the Sun Devils were given a rematch against Tulane (8-6) who defeated them 3-2 two weeks earlier at the Arizona Invitational. The Green Wave came right through and defeated the Sun Devils 3-2 again.

Arellano and Gardner dominated Tulane senior Grace Weaver and sophomore Hannah Holmes in two sets 21-17, 21-7. ASU junior Whitney Follette and freshman Halle Harker also defeated Tulane 21-13, 21-13, for their second win of the weekend.

Going into this invitational, sophomore Kizzy Willey and freshman Sydney Palmer had a 3-0 record, the best on the team. But after this weekend, they stand 4-4 and Arellano and Gardner are the best pair on the team with a 7-1 record. They are the only pair on the team with a winning record as of this weekend.

The Sun Devils return home after two away weekends to play Nebraska (0-1) on March 25 at 6 p.m., Boise State (0-0) on March 26 at 6 p.m., USC (3-0) and New Mexico (1-3) on March 28 at 3 p.m. and 5 p.m., respectively.

Reach the reporter at kewens@asu.edu or follow @katlynewens on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook or follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×