ASU softball takes game one over Arizona thanks to Chelsea Gonzales’ grand slam

The Sun Devils fought hard for a dominant victory over the rival Wildcats.

ASU sophomore shortstop Chelsea Gonzalez follows through after hitting a single vs. Indiana softball at Farrington Stadium on Feb. 7, 2015. Gonzalez’s hit would be part of a massive 6-run inning for the Sun Devils as they romped over the visiting Hoosiers 10-2. (Daniel Kwon/ The State Press)

No. 21 ASU Softball (22-10, 4-2 Pac-12) came up victorious in a hard-fought first game against rival No. 14 Arizona (27-8, 2-2 Pac-12) on Friday by a score of 8-5.

In the circle for the Sun Devils was freshman Breanna Macha, who pitched 5.2 innings and allowed eight hits and four runs before being relieved by freshman Dale Ryndak.

Arizona’s sophomore in the circle, Michelle Floyd, pitched six innings allowing six hits and seven runs.

The Sun Devils just couldn’t get anything going from the batter’s box to start things out, achieving only three walks and no hits through the first four innings of the game.

Arizona struck first in the bottom of the first frame, gaining a one-run advantage on the RBI double by sophomore Katiyana Mauga, scoring the speedy senior Hallie Wilson all the way from first base.

In the bottom of the fourth, the Wildcats left two runners stranded with an opportunity to grow their slim lead.

ASU wouldn’t get its first hit until the top of the fifth inning, but it sure was a powerful one. Senior outfielder Elizabeth Caporuscio sent a 3-run home run over the left field wall to give the Sun Devils a 3-1 lead.

Arizona responded in the bottom of the fifth, getting a double from Wilson before redshirt senior Kellie Fox crushed a two-run home run to tie the game 3-3.

The Sun Devils started out the sixth with a single from senior first baseman Bethany Kemp, but couldn’t capitalize on the offensive opportunities.

The bottom of the sixth was where the Wildcats separated themselves, taking a 4-3 lead on the solo shot by junior third baseman Lauren Young.

ASU had a response of its own in the top of the seventh as sophomore shortstop Chelsea Gonzales hit a grand slam to the right of the foul pole in left to take a 7-4 lead over the Wildcats.

The lead continued to grow on the RBI single by sophomore catcher Sashel Palacios, giving ASU an 8-4 advantage.

Arizona got runners into scoring position and even managed to gain back a run in the bottom of the seventh, but Ryndak retired the side to end a thrilling rivalry matchup.

First pitch of game two is on Saturday at 2 p.m. in Tucson.

Reach the reporter at rclarke6@asu.edu or follow @RClarkeASU on Twitter.

×