Bakers at ASU: ‘The sweetest club on campus’

Bakers-club

(Photos courtesy of Breana Curtis)

Self-proclaimed as “the sweetest club on campus,” Bakers at ASU is a new club that gives students the chance to get together and make all kinds of sweet treats.

Members bake various goodies at each meeting, ranging from vanilla cupcakes to chocolate truffles to butter cream fondant. The club’s creations are always made from scratch.

Club secretary and nursing freshman Zia Tyree said the club formed last fall and just became an official club at ASU this January. She explained that she and a few others who started the club found that there were no clubs like it at ASU and thought it would be a fun, unique group to create. Tyree said she always had a love for baking and thought it would be something that a lot of people would be interested in.

“(Baking) spreads joy, as cheesy as it sounds,” Tyree said. “It’s not just about baking for you, but about community building. It’s a chance for people to get outside their majors and their floors.”

She added that all the ingredients and utensils are provided at meetings, so members don’t have to bring anything but themselves. Students will not only learn how to bake, but also how to decorate cakes, make candy and other related skills.

Tyree said Bakers at ASU is starting out by making simple dishes and will start to expand on those basic skills as they go. She said there are about 20 or so members in the club right now, but that it varies from meeting to meeting.

“We’re always looking for more people,” Tyree said. “We have a good number (of members), but we’d like a bigger turnout.”

She added that while the club is currently mostly made up of Downtown students, it is open to people from all ASU campuses.

Club president and junior criminal justice major Breana Curtis first brought up the idea of having a baking club by posting it on a residential community Facebook page.

She said when she was looking for clubs to join, she couldn’t seem to find a culinary club and decided to create one of her own.

“We want members to have a good time,” Curtis said. “We want it to be somewhere people can escape from school and have fun making some sweets.”

The next Bakers at ASU meeting will be held on April 6 and club members will learn tips and tricks from a guest speaker. Meetings are held every other Monday at 6:30 p.m. in the NHI kitchen at the Downtown campus.

To join, or for more information visit facebook.com/groups/bakersatasu or contact Breana Curtis at bcurtis3@asu.edu.

Reach the reporter at bridget.dowd@asu.edu or follow @bridgetbernice on Twitter.

×