Ducey's spending cuts will scare away out-of-staters

Doug Ducey's inauguration

Gov. Doug Ducey walks on stage to take his oath of office at the state Capitol courtyard on Jan. 5, 2015.

Gov. Doug Ducey walks on stage to take his oath of office at the state Capitol courtyard on Jan. 5, 2015. (Photo by Emily Johnson) Gov. Doug Ducey walks on stage to take his oath of office at the state Capitol courtyard on Jan. 5, 2015. (Photo by Emily Johnson)

For me, the decision to go to ASU was a simple one. Between nationally-renowned programs and a unique culture, the package was unbeatable with a price tag less than that of in-state tuition in my home state of California.

However, newly-elected Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey's budget calls for a hefty cut to higher education funding, eliciting a frightening response for out-of-staters. ASU President Michael Crow promised not to increase tuition costs for in-state students.

So now, out-of-staters — like me — are waiting with bated breath to see how much our already-inflated tuition will increase.

Out-of-state tuition is currently $23,312. ASU's share of the spending cut totals $40.3 million.

This spending cut will do more harm than it will good. Ducey's statement that Arizonans need to "tighten their own belts" is true, but cutting funding for higher education after doing so much to boost K-12 schooling sends the message that he sees little return on investment, so to speak.

Ironically, Crow sent out a message earlier this month saying that ASU's partnership with Gallup expressed that ASU grads are "significantly more likely to be employed, engaged in their jobs and doing work that interests them than graduates of other universities."

Ducey's message to Arizona's students — whether at ASU, UA or NAU — tells them that their journey is not important enough for the state to aid them. It says that Ducey has little consideration for the endless fees associated with getting a degree. Even if ASU does not increase tuition for out-of-state students, scholarships, grants and financial aid could be at risk — a large part of what makes higher education desirable and affordable for many people.

The new budget added $44 million in funding for "prisons and protections for children and seniors who suffer neglect and abuse," according to an Arizona Republic article. In the same article, Ducey said, "It's a responsible budget that balances by 2017 and eliminates our structural deficit. It focuses on classrooms first."

I find it frightening and disheartening to see such a high level of disregard for the future of the state and the nation. In a student's life, the ultimate goal, the prize at the end of the road is going to college and getting a degree to have a better life. Cutting the funding to higher education institutions tells students they aren't worth it.

Having a balanced budget is important but so is having an educated populace. Making education feasible and affordable is a desperately necessary aspect of any university. As a result of this cut, this state will see a significant decrease in the number of out-of-state students attending Arizona's universities, which will only result in less diversity. Ducey's is an unsettling proposal, and I fear the response university officials will make.

Reach the columnist at nicole.tyau@asu.edu or follow @nicoletyau_ASU on Twitter.

×