Supreme Court votes not to reinstate disqualified Tempe USG presidential candidate

The ASASU Supreme Court voted to not allow Tempe Undergraduate Student Government presidential candidate Christopher Hollman to be placed on the ballot.

According to the court's opinion, Hollman said he was unable to submit his application on time because of "computer-related malfunctions."

The Supreme Court's decision was in line with what Elections Commissioner Maggie LaPoint had originally decided. The court opted not to hold a hearing.

Applications were due on Feb. 27. The Supreme Court said the ticket could have taken several steps to ensure its application was received, such as submitting paperwork by the early deadline or contacting officials when it was first realized the application may not have been submitted properly.

Hollman did not respond to repeated requests by the time of publication. However, a post on the ticket's official Facebook page said it was disappointed by the decision.

"In the name of transparency, we would like to note that we were DENIED the opportunity to defend ourselves in a hearing before the ASASU supreme court," the post said. "While we are not happy about this lack of transparency (something we wanted to change), we still encourage everyone to get out and vote."

Reach the news editor at sgslade@asu.edu or follow @shelbygslade on Twitter.

×