‘The Red Shoes’ — a gruesome fairytale from the mind of ‘The Little Mermaid’

'The Red Shoes' stays true to Hans Christian Andersen's original fairytale and creates a classic film in the process.

At a young age, and at times even in adulthood, fairy tales are a much appreciated form of film and literature. As many know but sometimes forget, the Disney movies we’ve come to love are usually derived from a fairytale of long ago tend to be a much more gruesome account.

The classic 1948 film, “The Red Shoes” falls into this category even though it isn’t an animated picture intended for children. This film is based off of Hans Christian Andersen’s fairytale “The Red Shoes.” Andersen also wrote “Thumbelina,” “The Little Mermaid” and “The Snow Queen,” which inspired what we now know as “Frozen,” just to name a few.

The live action 1948 version of “The Red Shoes” is a story within a story, making it a compelling picture to view. Victoria 'Vicky' Page, played by Moira Shearer, is a rich young aristocrat who dreams of being in the ballet. She soon succeeds after winning over Boris Lermontov, of the company Ballet Lermontov, when he sees her perform in a production of “Swan Lake.”

Lermontov decides to put Vicky as the lead in a new ballet, “The Red Shoes.” After dramatic circumstances, and a love triangle, Vicky flees the production one night to go after her love, and gets hit by a train in the process. When she is battered on a stretcher, she asks her love to remove the red shoes, and dies soon after, much like in the Hans Christian Andersen version of the tale.

It was interesting to see a classic fairy tale played out in two different scenarios, and it came as a surprise when it wasn’t only told in the production. Vicky’s life is reminiscent of the fairytale as well.

The talent showcased by Moira Shearer and the dancers in the film was also a privilege to see. Their precision, expertise and dazzling costumes made me remember why every little girl dreams of being a ballerina at least once in her young life. Much of the story is also centered around the composers, which was another interesting aspect of theater that was nice to see.

As with most classic films, you’re somewhat thrust into the story, so it is initially a little hard to follow. Once Vicky comes onto the screen, it is easier to understand as the leading lady moves the story along.

This film earns the title of timeless, simply because it was interesting to see a fairytale take on this original gruesome storyline, as opposed to Disney's “The Little Mermaid” and “Frozen," which vastly differed from its source material.

The element of dance, as well as the brilliant acting, was a bonus that solidified the appeal of the film. With two Oscars won and three more nominations, it's easy to see why this film will be appreciated for quite some time.

Comments? Tell the reporter at dpharias@asu.edu or follow @dpharias on Twitter.

×