ASU baseball erases four-run deficit, clinches Territorial Cup Series point in 6-5 win over Arizona

The No. 5 Sun Devils pounded out 13 hits and notched their sixth come-from-behind victory in Tucson.

TUCSON, Ariz. – A mere three days removed from a road series in which ASU baseball used just three pitchers in relief, the Sun Devils (26-11, 13-5 Pac-12) needed as many arms to get through three innings.

In David Graybill’s second career start, the junior right-hander walked the bases loaded in the second inning, throwing just two strikes to the first three batters he faced after issuing a free pass to senior catcher Riley Moore in the first.

Head coach Tracy Smith pulled Graybill for freshman left-hander Eli Lingos with no outs in the second, and Lingos proceeded to walk in the game’s first run facing junior left fielder Cody Ramer.

Junior second baseman Scott Kingery ripped a double to left, scoring two runs and leaving runners on second and third for junior shortstop Kevin Newman, who hit into a 5-1-6-2 double play that capped a four-run inning for the Wildcats (24-14, 9-9 Pac-12).

Pitching on both sides appeared thin, as no pitcher from either team lasted more than three innings.

After junior designated hitter RJ Ybarra delivered a sacrifice fly in the fourth to put ASU on the board, it seemed that the Sun Devils would need to chip away at a three run lead, down 4-1 in the bottom of the sixth.

Adept base running after a pair of singles by sophomore catcher Brian Serven and sophomore third baseman David Greer set up first and third with no outs.

It also prompted an Arizona pitching change, the third of seven total Wednesday night.

The Sun Devils tacked on a four spot of their own, seizing a 5-4 lead – their first lead of the night – highlighted by RBI singles from redshirt senior right fielder Trever Allen and freshman second baseman Andrew Snow.

What was once a comfortable lead – and a sizable advantage in momentum – vanished, as three Wildcat relievers managed to throw less than 20 pitches in their appearances, and only two of them that followed redshirt freshman Robby Medel lasted a full inning.

Facing Cameron Ming, senior left fielder Jake Peevyhouse doubled to lead off the seventh, and Serven doubled him home and picked up his 20th RBI of the season, providing an insurance run to widen ASU’s lead to 6-4.

On a night of inconsistency on the mound, senior right-hander Darin Gillies (three innings pitched, four strikeouts) provided the Sun Devils with a solid relief outing, retiring the side in order in the sixth, and negated a leadoff walk after mowing down the middle of the Wildcat order.

Junior closer Ryan Burr's 12th save of the season was quite possibly his most difficult to lock down.

Kingery reached on a dropped third strike after swinging and missing on a ball that richoted up and over the screen behind home plate.

In a rematch with sophomore third baseman Bobby Dalbec, Burr was once again on the losing end — ceding the battle of the at-bat when Dalbec singled home a run — but not the war, retiring the next two hitters he faced to clinched season series.

ASU hosts Tennessee Tech for the first of three games at 6:30 p.m. Friday, April 24 at Phoenix Muni.

Reach the reporter at smodrich@asu.edu or follow @StefanJModrich on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×