ASU men's golf enters Thunderbird Invitation on a roll

Jon Rahm, the No. 1-ranked amateur in the world, leads the Sun Devils

Jon Rahm- men's golf
Junior Jon Rahm tees off at the 10th hole of the 2015 Waste Management Phoenix Open on Feb. 1, 2015. (Andrew Ybanez/The State Press)

The ASU men's golf team returns home riding a newfound sense of momentum. 

The Sun Devils, guided by junior Jon Rahm, the world's No. 1-ranked amateur, have become the national power they once were. ASU has won four of its past five invitationals after winning just two in the three prior years under coach Tim Mickelson.

Rahm has five top-five finishes this season, including two victories, in addition to his fifth-place tie at the Phoenix Open. 

Earlier in the season, Mickelson had to decide whether to start Rahm or junior Max Rottluff in the team's No. 1 spot. Rottluff has seven top-10 finishes on the season. The two have similar stroke averages.

But after the Phoenix Open, Rahm improved, finishing in eighth, twice in second and capturing a victory. 

Following Rahm and Rottluff in the lineup will be junior Alberto Sanchez, sophomore Nicolo Galletti and senior Broc Johnson. Seniors Ben Shur and Mathias Schjoelberg and sophomore Ki Taek Lee will be competing as individuals. 

No. 9 ASU has a good chance to repeat in the invitational, its only home event of the season. The Sun Devils are the highest ranked team in the field, with only one other Golfweek Top 25 school appearing. 

The Thunderbird Invitational begins April 3 with a 7:45 a.m. shotgun start. ASU's starting lineup will begin from hole No. 1-5.

Reach the sports editor at jmjanss1@asu.edu or follow @jjanssen11 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook or follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×