ASU President Michael Crow: University has seen positive growth

The Arizona Board of Regents approved leases for ASU to expand student housing.​

ABOR November 21

The Arizona Board of Regents holds a meeting inside the Turquoise Room at the Memorial Union in Tempe on Friday, Nov. 21, 2014. The regents deliberated a wide range of topics during the meeting.

Just one day ahead of the expected release of proposed tuition rates, ASU President Michael Crow told the Arizona Board of Regents the University is continuing to see growth in many areas of education, enrollment and research.

Despite consistent cuts to the university budget over the past years, Crow said they continue to see an increase in enrollment, research and freshman retention. He said the University is continuing to perform at top levels and they hope to improve over the course of the year.

Crow also gave an extensive presentation on the state of ASU, which included hinting at future partnerships with companies, but on a smaller scale than the Starbucks online college program.

During the meeting, the regents approved two capital developments, including the sale of 4 acres of land at the Polytechnic campus to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints for an institute of religion and allowed ASU to enter into leases to increase student housing.

Students, faculty and community members were also present to speak about issues like tuition equality for DREAMers, making medical marijuana possession acceptable on campus and funding cannabis research.

ASU also announced they have developed a new app, called Me 3, which helps future students decide which major and career path would be best for them.

Crow also said the tuition proposals created by each university president will be released, and they do show a higher rate than he had hoped to announce.

State Press reporters Julia Shumway, Megan Janetsky and Benjamin Margiott contributed to this article.

Follow the State Press for more information as the proposals are released.

Reach the reporter at sgslade@asu.edu or follow @shelbygslade on Twitter.

×