Smith, Krawczyk have impressive showings in Pac-12 Championships

The Sun Devils were unable to capture any hardware this year, but did show they were a tough team to compete with this week.

ASU Senior Joanna Smith returns with a backhand during her 4-6 6
ASU Senior Joanna Smith returns with a backhand during her 4-6 6-3 6-1 win against Arizona's Devn Chypyha on April 4, 2015 at the Whiteman Tennis Center.

In advance of the NCAA Tournament in May, the No. 25 Sun Devils (15-7, 6-4 in Pac-12 play) competed in the Pac-12 Championships this week in Ojai, California.

The conference championship tournament provided the eight active members of the roster with a chance to play in a competitive event prior to the conclusion of the 2014-15 season.

ASU was represented in each of the four draws — the Pac-12 Women’s Singles Championships, Invitational Singles, Doubles Championships, and Invitational Doubles.

In the Singles Championships, junior Desirae Krawczyk (No. 6 seed), sophomore Kassidy Jump and junior Stephanie Vlad represented the Sun Devils.

Krawczyk advanced the furthest of the three, reaching the quarterfinals before falling to USC junior Giuliana Olmos (the No. 1 seed in the tournament), 6-3, 3-6, 2-6.

Jump lost in the opening round to California sophomore Denise Starr (the No. 8 seed in the tournament), while Vlad also fell in the first round to UCLA senior Chanelle Van Nguyen.

In the Invitational Singles, the Sun Devils were represented by seniors Leighann Sahagun (No. 6 seed) and Joanna Smith (No. 7 seed), junior Ebony Panoho and sophomores Alex Osborne and Gussie O’Sullivan.

Smith managed to reach the semifinals, but eventually lost to USC freshman Meredith Xepoleas (the No. 2 seed). O’Sullivan made it to the second round before losing to Xepoleas, while the other three Sun Devils were each eliminated in the first round.

In the Doubles Championships, the team was represented by its two top-50 ranked pairs of Krawczyk with Vlad, and Smith with Jump. The former of the two couples reached the quarterfinals, but was unable to advance any further.

The Invitational Doubles saw the team’s usual No. 3 doubles pair of Osborne and Panoho split up, as Osborne was coupled with Sahagun, while Panoho was paired with O’Sullivan.

Osborne and Sahagun reached the quarterfinals before being eliminated, while Panoho and O’Sullivan weren’t able to pass the first round.

The full results of the tournament can be viewed here.

With the team’s time in Ojai now over, its focus will turn to the NCAA Tournament, which begins on Saturday, May 9.

The draw for the NCAA Tournament will take place at 2 p.m. on Tuesday, April 28, and will be available for view on NCAA.com.

Reach the reporter at kajone31@asu.edu or follow @kaelenjones on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook or follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×