Opinion: Bobby Hurley the right hire for ASU

The former Duke point guard and Buffalo coach is the best fit for the Sun Devils.

SPORTS BKC-BUFFALO-KENTUCKY 10 LX
Buffalo Bulls head coach Bobby Hurley watches as another UK platoon prepares to enter the game as the University of Kentucky plays the University of Buffalo Sunday, Nov. 16, 2014 in Rupp Arena in Lexington, Ky. UK won 71-52. (Charles Bertram/Lexington Herald-Leader/MCT)

Oops, Ray did it again.

ASU athletic director Ray Anderson took what appeared to be a dwindling head coaching situation and found a perfect fit, hiring former Duke point guard and Buffalo head coach Bobby Hurley as its next men's basketball coach.

The résumé? Impressive.

A championship pedigree? With two national titles to boot, you betcha. 

Coaching roots? Who better to look at than his father, Bob Hurley Sr., who has a national record with 27 state titles in the state of New Jersey at St. Anthony's High School in Jersey City.

ASU was dealt a difficult hand when Duke associate head coach Jeff Capel, widely considered to be the front-runner for the job when it opened up March 24, reportedly removed himself from consideration for the job.

Many, including myself, criticized Anderson for the way he handled the head coaching search:

Anderson, however, clearly had other ideas.

Hurley was one of my main favorites in the coaching search when it began for all of the reasons listed above, but I just never thought he would leave Buffalo to take a job out west.

Now, the former Blue Devil becomes a Sun Devil.

Hurley comes to ASU riding a huge wave of momentum, coming off a NCAA Tournament appearance with Buffalo and having four returning starters meet him in Tempe.

His promise is simple — make ASU men's basketball relevant.

"Our purpose is to mold championship-caliber young men on the court, in the classroom and around the community," Hurley said in a statement Thursday. "We are here to set a new standard, to make regular trips to the NCAA Tournament, and regularly compete for conference and national titles."

The Hurley era already sounds like a lot of fun.

"With our fast-paced and aggressive style of play, we are going to make Sun Devil Basketball a destination for in-state, national, and international basketball talent," Hurley said.

ASU basketball looks to be exciting under Hurley, returning quality players in point guard Tra Holder and forward Savon Goodman who should be able to make the Sun Devils a contender to make the NCAA Tournament in 2016.

Anderson's message was simple when Sendek was fired — he wants championships.

Well, Ray, Hurley has some.

"Bobby is energetic, passionate and tough, and his contagious competitive fire will bring unmatched vigor to our men's basketball program," Anderson said in his statement Thursday. "A teacher, first and foremost, he is a proven winner both as a player and a coach, and understands the steps it takes to be a champion."

ASU president Michael Crow got the message as well.

"In Bobby Hurley, we have found a top-flight coach who will take our basketball program to the next level and a mentor who will foster academic success among all our student-athletes," Crow said in a statement Thursday.

It appears that the 942 Crew and the fans are on board as well:

×