Boos & Bravos: Week of April 9

​Bravo to the new ASU basketball coach, but boo to Arizona's gun death rate exceeding its car death rate.

WORLD NEWS USIRAN-NUCLEAR 3 TNS
President Barack Obama makes a statement after Iran and and six world powers have agreed on the outlines of an understanding that would open the path to a final phase of nuclear negotiations in the press briefing at the White House April 2, 2015 in Washington, D.C. (Olivier Douliery/TNS)

Bravo to ASU hiring new men's basketball coach Bobby Hurley. Hurley led Buffalo to its first NCAA Tournament appearance in school history, posting a 42-20 record in two seasons at the school. Hurley, a two-time national champion in his playing days as point guard at Duke University, was hired 16 days after ASU fired Herb Sendek.

Boo to the Maricopa County Attorney's Office for refusing to extend its adoption assistance services to gay couples. While gay marriage is legal in Arizona, the Attorney's Office has refused help to homosexual couples and potential parents in adopting children.

Bravo to Apple for releasing iOS 8.3, which now recognizes an array of skin tones and gender-pairing options for its "people" selections. No skin color or orientation should be considered "normal," and we applaud Apple for accepting diversity.

Boo to WHDH-TV photographer Robert Cusanelli for following two jurors in Boston's Aaron Hernandez case from the news station’s van. He testified in the case Thursday and was banned from the trial.

Bravo to everyone who assisted in streaming more than 10 billion hours of movies and television shows through Netflix in the past three months. This is a great accomplishment for all of us, but we can do better. Ready, set, binge watch.

Boo to the lethal, food-borne bacterium listeria, which caused Sabra Dipping Company to recall 30,000 cases of its classic hummus this week. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed as of Thursday morning that the number of people effected by the bacterium had spread.

Bravo to Tempe Undergraduate Student Government for passing a bill advocating for more gender-neutral amenities, like bathrooms and housing, for ASU students. They suggested building a gender-neutral bathroom in every building on campus and establishing a gender-neutral floor in each residential community.

Boo to the Walter Scott shooting. The police officer, Michael Slager shot Scott after running away from his car. Slager claims that Scott reached for his taser and shot him four to five times after the fact.

Bravo to the White House calling for a ban on gay "conversion" therapy. The practice is not scientifically sound and can seriously harm the children who undergo it.

Boo to Arizona's gun death rate exceeding its motor vehicle death rate. A study by the Violence Policy Center says the state experienced 14.20 gun deaths per 100,000 people, as opposed to 13.02 vehicle deaths per 100,000.

Want to join the conversation? Send an email to opiniondesk.statepress@gmail.com. Keep letters under 300 words and be sure to include your universiĵty affiliation. Anonymity will not be granted.

×