Feminism provides body positivity for everyone

The media perpetrates certain types of bodies based on the capitalistic values which will benefit them.

LIFE MIAMI-WINTER-PARTY 2 MI
Attendees enjoy the 22nd annual Miami Beach Winter Party Festival on Sunday, March 8, 2015, in Miami Beach, Fla. The event is an annual fund and consciousness-raising event committed to supporting, inspiring and activating the LGBT community worldwide through a celebration of identity, equality and unity. (Andriana Mereuta/Miami Herald/TNS)

Promoting body positivity for both genders would revolutionize the nature of acceptance in our society, especially for younger generations who learn from their highly social environments.

The media perpetrates certain types of bodies based on the capitalistic values which will benefit them. While some expectations aim toward healthier living, there is an expired sense of what is considered beautiful for men and women. Advertisements, television, films and printed materials ultimately dictate the social norms which we are forced to live by.

Audre Lorde wrote, “There is no thing as a single-issue struggle because we do not live single-issue lives.” Feminism works to support and provide gender equality in today’s world, but recognizes that society is still geared toward patriarchal values and therefore especially makes sure to bring about equality for women.

Holding with the definition of feminism as equality for the genders, promoting body positivity without romanticizing certain body types would benefit the greater population, without alienating anyone. Body positivity for men is a factor of feminism. Tearing down false versions of body standards is beneficial for everyone, not just one half of the population.

Body positivity affects more than just certain humans. All people experience self-doubt, insecurity and dislike their own physical appearance throughout their lifetimes. It is normal and human for fear of disapproval and inadequacy to triumph over logic in these situations. However, our world exists within a highly technological age in which we are able to consistently share, seek and expose ourselves to colossal amounts of information.

A recurring motif throughout media is beauty. Whether it be professional photography, selfies, advertisements or entertainment, worth is constantly judged by appearance. The way a person looks dictates how they will be immediately perceived by those around them. As highly social animals, humans care.

Skin color, blemishes, rolls, stretch marks, hair, symmetry, muscle or the lack of, all influence our perceptions of ourselves and of one another.

Perceived beauty can be clearly defined with a simple Google search. “Beautiful men” and “beautiful women” both get very specific results on the Internet — white, thin, in-shape, symmetrical, light-haired, well-dressed (or hardly dressed).

The formula for beauty is simple and easily distinguishable by gender. Women are expected to be thin, with disproportionately large breasts and hips, clear skin and a polished, manicured effort. Men are expected to be muscular and athletic, with sculpted features and charming demeanor.

The New York Times’ Seth Stephens-Davidowitz wrote “Searching for Sex” and evaluated Google for the insecurities of men and women when faced with romantic activities. “We are all so busy judging our own bodies that there is little energy left over to judge other people’s,” Stephens-Davidowitz wrote.

However, the fear of our own inadequacy is far more potent than the realization that we're all too infatuated with our own bodies to care about anyone else’s. Luckily, more body-positive campaigns are making their ways into advertisements and common social media, as an increasing number of individuals is realizing the negative effects unreasonable expectations have.

Some media outlets, corporations and groups of inspired activists have taken to developing strategies to boost the confidence of young girls, teens and women. Often, these campaigns spread better messages about appreciating and respecting oneself despite not fitting into what the media considers beautiful. However, a similar counterpart is absent for males in some cases.

There is no body positivity if there is not an inclusion of men. Feminism is more than only supporting women — it is providing support for everyone, but recognizing the injustices that exist especially for women and righting them. By fighting the social pressure to be a photocopy of every model plastered to the inside of a magazine, it is true that we help girls and women.

Equality is never a bad thing. There is always a chance to improve our society by becoming more accepting and teaching that love is always going to trump hate.

Reach the columnist at smmaki@asu.edu or follow @Syd_neym on Twitter.

×