Summer movie season: 'Avengers,' 'Pitch Perfect' and more:

Here are five must-see movies coming out this summer.

Magic Mike XXL

Photo courtesy of Iron Horse Entertainment (II)

The summer of 2015 features the release of movies bound to create a frenzy at the box office. Audiences will experience long anticipated sequels and first time hits, their weekends entailing everything from futuristic superheroes to movies with relatable life stories.The movie theater provides a place to escape that Arizona heat and a place to enjoy the hottest films of the season.  Here are five must-see movies coming out this summer.

1. "Pitch Perfect 2"

The wait is almost over for all the "Pitch Perfect" fans who have been eagerly awaiting the return of Beca (Anna Kendrick), Fat Amy (Rebel Wilson), Chloe (Brittany Snow) and all their favorite Barden Bellas to take back the big screen. The film, directed by Elizabeth Banks, starts with a disastrous wardrobe malfunction occurring while the Bellas perform for the president. The group is suspended, but if the Bellas can win the championship, they will be reinstated into the league. From the trailer, it seems as though this musical comedy will live up to the hype of its arrival.

2. "The Avengers: Age of Ultron"

The world’s most notorious superheroes gather again to defeat a dangerously intelligent robot created by Tony Stark, aka Iron Man.  The robot was originally designed to fight the dangers of the world, but, of course, something goes wrong, and the robot decides the human race needs to become extinct. Robert Downey Jr., Mark Ruffalo, Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Chris Hemsworth, Jeremy Renner and Samuel L. Jackson return in this Marvel sequel with new faces like Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen joining in on the fun. The film is written and directed by Joss Whedon and opens in theaters on May 1.

3. "Where Hope Grows"

In theaters everywhere May 15, “Where Hope Grows” is a story about finding friendship in the most unlikely places. Kris Polaha plays Calvin Campbell, a former baseball star. As a struggling single parent, he buries his hardships in alcohol. Campbell’s alcoholism makes him bitter and angry, but he finds a silver lining when he meets Produce (David DeSanctis), a young man with Down syndrome. The two develop a friendship which leads Campbell away from his self-destructive path. 

4. "Magic Mike XXL"

Arriving on July 1, “Magic Mike XXL” picks up three years after its prequel. The infamous 24-pack, otherwise known as the Kings of Tampa, are ready to bow out of the stripping game. However, like honorable gentlemen, they will deliver one last legendary performance in Myrtle Beach. Although Matthew McConaughey will be missed, Channing Tatum, Matt Bomer, Joe Manganiello, Adam Rodriguez and Amber Heard will return. Some new faces include Elizabeth Banks, Donald Glover and Jada Pinkett Smith.

×