Same-sex parenting should be encouraged, now Arizona is allowing it

Thankfully, Gov. Doug Ducey vetoed a bill that would restrict the ability of same-sex couples to adopt, giving 17,000 children a greater chance of a loving family.

Doug Ducey- election

Doug Ducey gives his victory speech as Arizona's new governor on Nov. 4, 2014, at the Republican election party at the Hyatt Regency in downtown Phoenix. 

Gov. Doug Ducey vetoed a bill that would have potentially restricted the ability of same-sex couples to adopt. Through this action, Ducey made “free adoption services available at Arizona’s county attorney offices,” according to the Arizona Republic.

This was an admirable move by Ducey, as some argued legalizing same-sex marriage does not transfer over to adoption services. In other words, a loving couple cannot have the ability to adopt a child purely because of their sexual orientation. However, heterosexual couples have the ability to receive aid in this department. Same-sex couples that biologically can’t have a child with each other? No, not them.

With 17,000 children needing homes in Arizona alone, it doesn’t make any sense to deprive them of a potential home, even if it is unconventional to some of the greater masses. Arizona made a leap in the right direction by legalizing same-sex marriage, but the fact some are opposed to these couples adopting plainly shows that we have a long way to go.

As we see in our day to day lives, families come in many different ways, and as long s the child is loved and cared for, whichever dynamic they have created works. The days picket white fences and a mother at home cooking while the father works are long gone. We shouldn’t treat this dismissed notion as a loss. Our world is evolving as are the families within it; that is something to celebrate.

Our favorite celebrities have created unconventional families and have done an absolutely awe-inspiring job. Although average families have done the same in the exact same commendable fashion, these celebrities have set an example for the world to see. Elton John has two children with his husband David Furnish; Wanda Skyes and her partner have twins, just to name a few.

One of the most popular same-sex parents is Neil Patrick Harris and his husband David Burtka, who father twins Gideon Scott and Harper Grace, two adorable blonde hair toddlers — I mean seriously, have you seen their themed Halloween costumes?

Although Harris and Burtka didn’t adopt these twins, in Harris’ words, they were conceived by “two eggs, two embryos, one of mine, one of his,” and housed by a surrogate. With all the media attention, it is hard to believe these to fathers are anything but fantastic parents. When asked how they make having two fathers work, Harris had a wonderful reply.

http://neilpatrickharrisyousay.tumblr.com/post/26429197236/hes-daddy-and-im-papa

In addition, Harris had an insightful outlook on parenting that makes it impossible to think same-sex couples can’t create a loving, wonderful home for their children.

Once more, bravo to Ducey for vetoing a bill that could have deprived so many children of homes purely over something as trivial as the couple’s sexual orientation. Parents should be chosen solely on the content of their character. There personal romantic choices should not reflect their ability to be a father or a mother. We need to allow adoption to evolve with the changing times and encourage the development of loving, functional families.

Reach the columnist at dpharias@asu.edu or follow @Dpharias on Twitter.

×