ASU sand volleyball falls to Arizona in season finale

In their final matches of the season, the Sun Devils fell 4-1 to the Arizona Wildcats on Wednesday night.

Whitney Follette Halle Harker- sand volleyball
Junior Whitney Follette and freshman Halle Harker battle back and forth with New Mexico at PERA club on April 11, 2015. (Ryan Santistevan/The State Press).

As their second season came to an end, the Sun Devils fell to the Arizona Wildcats 4-1 Wednesday night, in Tucson.

Freshman Halle Harker and junior Whitney Follette, the No. 3 pair, were the only Sun Devils to walk away with a win against Arizona when they defeated redshirt senior Kendall Polan and senior Rachel Rhoades in two sets, 21-19 and 21-14.

The rest of the evening was full of two-set defeats for ASU.

ASU's No. 4 pair, sophomore Kizzy Willey and freshman Sydney Palmer fell to redshirt junior Taylor Lane and senior Taylor Arizobal 21-9, 21-11, as Arizona took the 1-0 lead. Willey and Palmer finished up the season 7-12.

Freshman Frances Giedraitis and and junior Andi Lowrance finished their season 7-10 after falling to the Arizona No. 5 pair, sophomore Sarah Seiber and freshman Hailey Devlin 21-17, 21-12. Lowrance did not play the previous weekend at the Pac-12 Invitational due to a sprained ankle, but had a speedy recovery and was ready to go for the final game of the season.

Arizona pulled even more ahead and won the team duel, 3-0, as twin sisters, sophomores Madison and McKenna Witt, defeated ASU No. 1 pair, juniors Bianca Arellano and Macey Gardner 21-9, 21-17.  The Witt sisters also defeated Arellano and Gardner every time they played at the Pac-12 Invitation. The ASU No. 1 pair will end their season with the best record on the team, 12-10.

Senior Jordy Checkal and graduate student Bethany Jorgensen, ASU's No. 2 pair, had a strong previous weekend, defeating the No. 1 USC Trojans, but could not pull out a win Wednesday night. The Wildcats took the 4-1 lead as the No. 2's fell to senior Madi Kingdon and redshirt senior Kaitlyn Leary 21-11, 21-14. Checkal and Jorgensen finished up 11-11, right behind Arellano and Gardner.

Harker and Follette finished up the final match of the evening with their win, keeping Arizona from walking away with a shutout.  Harker and Follette won four of their five matches last weekend and finish up the season 11-11, tied with Checkal and Jorgensen for the second best record.

The Sun Devils finished up their second season ever at 7-13. ASU hopes to add more sand volleyball players to their roster next season as they prepare for the first ever NCAA championship in May 2016.

Reach the reporter at kewens@asu.edu or follow @katlynewens on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook or follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×