Sun Devil Snapshot: Go Ham On The Core

This week in Sun Devil Athletics saw a...peculiar entry

Teams from ASU and UC Berkeley compete in the final game of the Heroes of the Storm championship match on Sunday, April 26, 2015 in Los Angeles. The Golden Bears defeated ASU's Dream Team 3-2 to win the first eSports event broadcast live on American TV.

$75,000 — Amount of money, per student, given to the winner of the "Heroes of the Dorm" eSport tournament Sunday night. ASU lost 3-2 to Cal in what was the first-ever nationally televised eSport event.

The game also set Twitter abuzz with a particular catchphrase:

Go ham on the core, ladies and gentlemen.

11 — Number of runs scored in the fifth inning of ASU's 16-4 series-clinching win over Tennessee Tech on Sunday.

9 — Series wins, in 10 tries, for ASU baseball this season.

2 — Number of complete games this weekend for ASU softball freshman Breanna Macha. ASU took just one of three games in the series loss.

10 — Total number of stolen bases this year for ASU softball it's successful attempt Sunday afternoon.

22 — Total number of Olympic medals, 18 of which are Gold, for Michael Phelps, who is trained by new ASU swim coach Bob Bowman. Bowman confirmed Phelps will train in Tempe for the 2016 Olympics.

2 — Number of recruits that committed to ASU men's basketball on Friday, the first two under new coach Bobby Hurley. Buffalo transfer Shannon Evans committed early Friday morning before being joined by JUCO forward Obinna Oleka later in the afternoon.

Reach the assistant sports editor at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×