Throwbacks & Comebacks: 90's fashion trends that made a comeback

FASH FANNYPACK TB
The fanny pack is back like this designer Louis Vuitton style. (Bill Hogan/Chicago Tribune/MCT)

One of the fondest memories for '90s children was taking a smooth, shiny quarter, sticking it in a machine and claiming your 25-cent treasure with a quick twist. The holiest of prizes was a stretchy, black tattoo-style choker, which symbolized the best of the '90s generation.

This fashion trend was dormant for a couple years, but it is now back in business. With the help of celebrities and fashion forward millennials, many '90s trends have resurfaced and created an industry for fashion designers. 

There was a time when you wouldn’t be caught dead in jelly shoes, Doc Martens or fanny packs, but fashion trends change fast. You may have looked back on your elementary or middle school pictures and cringe at the sight of your overalls and the brightly-colored scrunchy in your hair. Now, if you have a bold sense of fashion, you are probably hitting thrift shops to find the clothes you once mocked and gave away, or maybe you are raiding your mother’s or even grandmother’s closets to try and stay ahead of the fashion trends. 

Fanny packs recently took a slingshot ride back to modern day attire. What was once thought of as borderline nerdy in the early 2000s is now a standard way to accessorize an outfit. Fanny packs are especially popular with music festival-goers and concert fanatics because they are a convenient way to carry your things without losing them. 

If you watch any '90s sitcom, you will discover those characters made crop tops “fetch” before the modern generations. This trends appears in '90s hit movie "Clueless," while movies like "Mean Girls" reinforced its influence to the modern generations. Although the style was the same, the delivery has changed a bit. There is a fine line between looking fashionable and exposing your abdomen to the whole world.

Young fashion divas from the '90s were well acquainted with jelly shoes. These shoes are clear and plastic, sometimes glittery, and guaranteed to make your feet sweatier than anything you have ever felt before. Today brands like Topshop and ASOS sell these shoes to young adults.

A fashion trend that may never die is flannel — the ultimate grunge symbol. Perhaps it will always be associated with the best of the '80s and '90s, but this style has survived generations. Today it can still be used to assemble a grunge look, but its influence has expanded. Flannel is also associated with the country scene as a very prominent fashion trend. It is a versatile look that everyone can enjoy.

We are well into 2015, but the '90s influence is hotter than ever. So here is a moment of silence to the overalls you regret donating to Goodwill, the infinite stretchy chokers you lost or broke and the chunky jewelry you refused from your grandmother because you thought it was dorky. One can only hope that fashion trends such as frosted tips, platform Rocketdogs and light up sneakers stay tucked beneath the surface forever.  

×