ASU baseball draws a No. 2 seed in the Fullerton Regional

The Sun Devils will be in a regional with Cal State Fullerton, Clemson and Pepperdine

ASU v ACU Allen
Senior Trever Allen hits for an RBI single in the bottom of the third inning against Abilene Christian at Phoenix Municipal Stadium Tuesday May 19, 2015. The Sun Devils defeated the Wildcats 4-1. (Jacob Stanek/The State Press)

It's time for ASU baseball to pack its bags.

The Sun Devils will be the No. 2 seed in the Fullerton, Calif. Regional.

ASU (34-21) will be in a regional with hosts Cal State Fullerton (34-22), No. 3-seed Clemson (32-27) and No. 4 Pepperdine (30-27).

The selections were announced Monday morning on ESPNU.

The Sun Devils, who thought they had a shot to host, will first face the Clemson Tigers on Friday at 3 p.m. (game will be streamed on ESPN3).

If they win their opener, ASU will play the winner of Cal State Fullerton/Pepperdine, who play Friday at 7 p.m.

The regional round of the NCAA Tournament works as a double-elimination. If ASU advances through the group, they will play in a best-of-three Super Regional against the winner of the Louisville Regional for a bid in the College World Series.

The Sun Devils traveled to the San Luis Obispo Regional hosted by Cal Poly in 2014, losing their first two games before being eliminated. Then-head coach Tim Esmay resigned following the season.

ASU's last trip to Fullerton for a regional came in 2013, which Cal State Fullerton won. They've also previously visited Fullerton for regionals in 2001, 2003, 2004 and 2005.

ASU head coach Tracy Smith made a bold prediction Sunday prior to finding out where his team was headed:

The Pac-12 had six teams selected to play in regionals, including No. 1 overall seed UCLA. The Bruins, USC, Cal, Oregon, Oregon State and ASU made the tournament, making it six out of 11 teams in the conference to reach the postseason.

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×