ASU softball to compete in Baton Rouge regional

amber freeman senior night
Senior catcher Amber Freeman (facing) hugs her teammates during her senior night celebration after winning a game against UCLA on Saturday, May 9, 2015 at Farrington Stadium in Tempe.

ASU softball will begin postseason play in the Baton Rouge regional, as announced on ESPNU Sunday evening. 

LSU (44-11, 15-9 SEC) earned the No. 5 overall seed, but the Tigers have struggled down the stretch, losing six of their past eight SEC games. In March, the Tigers took two out of three games from No. 1 seed Florida and went 2-0 against Oklahoma. 

But first, ASU (34-20, 12-11 Pac-12) will face Nebraska (34-21, 17-6) on Friday at 1:30 p.m. PT on ESPN3. Nebraska most recently qualified for the Women's College World Series in 2013, when ASU did as well. LSU squares off against Texas Southern (25-16) in the region. 

If ASU advances in the regional, it would most likely face No. 12 seed Arizona (38-17, 13-11 Pac-12) in a Super Regional in Tucson. ASU took two of three from the Wildcats earlier this year.  

ASU endured a turbulent season, losing 20 games for the first time since 2005, but ended the regular season on a high note, taking two of three from No. 6 UCLA after junior center fielder Jennifer Soria hit a walk-off homer Saturday. 

Reach the reporter at jmjanss1@asu.edu or follow @jjanssen11 on Twitter

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter

×