Former ASU baseball player Sal Bando inducted to Omaha College Baseball Hall of Fame

Bando was elected to College Baseball Hall of Fame in 2013

Sal Bando

(Courtesy of Sun Devil Athletics)

Former ASU baseball third baseman Sal Bando has been inducted to the Omaha College Baseball Hall of Fame as part of the class of 2015, the Hall of Fame announced Tuesday.

Bando, who was named the College World Series' Most Outstanding Player en route to winning a national title in 1965, will be a part of the Hall of Fame's third class of inductees. Former Sun Devil Bob Horner was a part of the inaugural class in 2013.

The Omaha College Baseball Hall of Fame is designed to honor college baseball's best players, especially those who performed well at the NCAA College World Series in Omaha, Neb.

Joining Bando in the 2015 class are former Texas pitcher Burt Hooton and former Texas coach Cliff Gustafson.

Bando won the College World Series Most Outstanding Player Award in 1965 after batting .480 with four doubles, 10 runs, nine RBI and four stolen bases. In doing so, he helped ASU to win its first national title in school history.

He hit .405 with two home runs and 10 RBI in his College World Series career to set records in total bases (21) and hits (12).

Bando was previously selected to the College Baseball Hall of Fame in 2013, where he was the eighth Sun Devil elected all-time. He was named to the College World Series Legends team and 1960s College World Series All-Decade team.

The former Sun Devil corner infielder later went on to be a key player for the Oakland Athletics, winning the World Series in 1972, 1973 and 1974. 

Hooton, Bando and Gustafson will be honored during the TD Ameritrade Home Run Derby at the College World Series July 2.

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×