Cali Farquharson records six points, ASU soccer dominates UNLV 6-0

The Sun Devils have scored nine goals in their first two games this season

ASU Vs. UNLV Farquharson
Senior forward Cali Farquharson takes a shot on goal in the second half against University of Nevada-Las Vegas Friday Aug. 28, 2015 at Sun Devil Soccer Stadium in Tempe. The Sun Devils defeated the Rebels 6-0.

No. 22 ASU soccer crushed the visiting UNLV Rebels 6-0 Friday night behind a two goal, two assist game from senior forward Cali Farquharson.

Six goals is tied for the second most ever scored in a single game by the Sun Devils (2-0-0), with seven holding a three-way tie for the top scoring output. 

On a night with plenty of offensive fireworks, ASU didn't wait long to get on the board.

The Rebels (0-2-0) managed nine shots, only five of which were on goal.

In the second minute of the match, Farquharson played a through ball up the middle to her teammate, redshirt junior midfielder Lucy Lara.  

Once Lara gained her footing, she buried the ball into the upper left corner of the net to put the Sun Devils on top 1-0.

In the 22nd minute, Lara returned Farquharson's favor by assisting her on a finesse goal inside the box that extended ASU's lead to 2-0.

Lara said that Farquharson had a beautiful run leading up to the goal.

"She assisted for me, so I was like, 'I'll assist for you,'" Lara said. "I just played it in front of her and she placed it very well."

The onslaught by the Sun Devils didn't stop there, however.

Two minutes later, Farquharson took control of the ball on the left side and danced around her defender before gaining an opening.

As Farquharson broke toward the goal, sophomore goalkeeper Jordan Sallee rushed forward in an attempt to create a difficult angle.

The Sun Devils' captain remained cool under pressure, firing the ball past the left hand of Sallee for her second goal of the match, giving the Sun Devils a 3-0 advantage at the half.

ASU head coach Kevin Boyd said that his team significantly improved its play in the second half.

"The first half, while we were up 3-0, didn't feel like we outplayed them to 3-0," Boyd said. "I really thought we stepped it up in the second half and played better."

In the second half of the match, after a foul on UNLV in the 54th minute, Farquharson continued her gem of a game. 

A free kick from outside the box by Farquharson met the foot of senior defender McKenzie Berryhill, who guided the ball home for her first goal of the season to put the Sun Devils up 4-0.

Farquharson said that she loves her team's defense, and that ASU has a solid back line.

"(Berryhill) almost had a goal in the first half too," Farquharson said of her teammate. "She's definitely a big presence."

Sophomore forward Aly Moon got in on the action in the 72nd minute, scoring a powerful strike in the middle of the field on an assist from junior forward Larisa Staub. The goal gave ASU a 5-0 lead.

The final score of the game came in the 80th minute from freshman midfielder Adriana Orozco, who achieved the first goal of her career after sticking with a loose ball and muscling around the UNLV defender.

With the victory, ASU has now shut out its first two opponents 9-0.

The Sun Devils' next match will be against San Diego State on Monday, Aug. 31 in Tempe.

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story misstated the number of points Cali Farquharson recorded. It has been updated to reflect that each goal is worth two "points" in college soccer statistics.

Reach the reporter at rclarke6@asu.edu or follow @RClarkeASU on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×