ASU football fans should stick around, but the team should understand if we don't

Fans file out of the lower-level bleachers at Sun Devil Stadium during a game against USC on Saturday, Sept. 26, 2015, in Tempe. The Trojans defeated the Sun Devils 42-14.

The ASU football team's sluggish start to the season has been the topic of much discussion, and complaining, by Sun Devil fans.

Disappointing outings in the first three games were followed up with an absolute blowout loss at home to the USC Trojans. It was a game that sparked the tempers of ASU fans, many of whom left the game in frustration as USC built up a commanding lead.

Screenshot from: Joey Hancock 

On Facebook, sophomore running back Kalen Ballage vented about fans leaving the stands early on — Ballage later deleted the post. Fans should be supportive of their Sun Devils and respect the players' and coaches' efforts, ugly losses included, but, Ballage and the rest of the team should be aware that support need only go so far.

It’s understandable that the crowd started to thin out after halftime. Already frustrated by the team’s disappointing early season performance, fans were subjected to hellish heat and a long wait until a 7:30 p.m. kickoff. 

Once the game started, the Trojans jumped out to a 35-0 lead as the team feasted on multiple ASU turnovers and poor tackling. The fans did their part, showing up and lending their support to a team that thus far hasn’t delivered like it should have.

In what has become a weekly tradition, Camp Fargo was once again packed with dedicated fans fighting for prime seats.

Once inside, the Double Inferno was packed by fans clad in maroon to support the game’s Maroon Monsoon promotion. Those fans stood arm-in-arm with their fellow supporters in the oppressive heat.

Although fans were leaving mid-game, Todd Graham deemed the Sun Devils to be the best team he has ever coached. This was a team that beat Notre Dame a season ago, rose as high as No. 6 in the country and opened the season ranked 15th in the nation. Todd Graham can only do so much as a coach if the team is failing, so he isn't the sole source to blame.

The team was beat in its season opener against Texas A&M and came away with less than impressive victories against the inarguably inferior Cal Poly and New Mexico teams. This is yet another reason that fans have ammunition to use against the Sun Devils. Fans should respect their team and not desert the Sun Devils when the team needs them most — when it's being thrashed by Southern Californians in 100 degree heat. 

The results of this season's match-ups demonstrate a tense conflict between fan and team expectations. Fans expect a consistently impressive on-field performance, or at the very least a respectable outing. The team expects a packed stadium even when the games aren’t going the right way.

For now, both sides of this debate need to realize they each owe the other something. Fans owe the team their support, even in difficult times, and the team owes its fans a highly competitive product.

As of now, neither side is completely fulfilling its duty to the other. Moving forward, rather than lashing out at one another, the team and its fans should stop bickering and start working on growing as a unit. 

ASU vs No. 19 USC: By the numbers

Report Card: ASU football falls apart in loss to USC

×