ASU football ready for neutral-site tilt against Texas A&M

The Sun Devils and Aggies are no strangers to high-profile non-conference games

houston-helmet

An ASU helmet sits on the stage awaiting a the arrival of ASU head coach Todd Graham and Kevin Sumlin for their joint press conference on Friday, Sept. 7 at NRG Stadium in Houston. 

HOUSTON — College football marks its full-fledged return on Saturday night, but there will be no games held at Kyle Field in College Station, Texas, or Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe.

Instead, ASU and Texas A&M will kick off from NRG Stadium in Houston in a nationally televised "Advocare Texas Kickoff" opener on ESPN.

Both ASU head coach Todd Graham and Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin are no strangers to non-conference matchups in large venues, as each has done so during their tenure at their current schools.

ASU and Graham went to Dallas in 2013, falling to Notre Dame before getting revenge against the Irish in Tempe last season.

"When we played Notre Dame in Dallas (in 2013), we were really trying to get our program started," Graham said. "I think it helped us tremendously. We had not been in that type of environment, and it helped us...It's a neat opportunity, facing the national stage that you're on and the opportunity for your team and exposure is second to none."

Texas A&M also has played in AT&T Stadium in Dallas, as they play an annual series against Arkansas at the venue.

"It's certainly more comfortable for me (in Houston), but I'm not playing," Sumlin said. "We've got quite a few players who have never been here, and you can talk about it all you want but the guys who have played get it to the team and come into this building and bring energy to a fabulous facility."

Playing a high-profile opponent out of the gate presents a unique challenge for coaches, Graham said.

"It's going to be a big-time atmosphere and we're going to find out where we're at," Graham said. 

The game also provides a unique spotlight on both programs, Sumlin said.

"The exposure that both teams get tomorrow night with that TV slot is great for recruiting and great for our fans," Sumlin said.

Both programs, who practice in notoriously hot climates, will get a break with the roof closed at NRG Stadium with expectations of rain outside.

"It'll be exciting with the roof closed and 68 degrees, and I think it'll be the first time both teams will have that," Sumlin joked.

"I'm looking forward to it," Graham chimed in.

ASU and Texas A&M kick off at 4 p.m. Arizona time on Saturday.

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×