ASU soccer begins Pac-12 gauntlet with matinee against Washington State

The Sun Devils ride a three-game losing streak into Pac-12 play.

ASU Vs Portland St. Moon
Sophomore forward Aly Moon passes the ball in the first half against Portland State at Sun Devil Soccer Stadium Friday Aug. 21, 2015 in Tempe. The Sun Devils defeated the Vikings 3-0.

One week ago, ASU soccer sat at No. 18 in the country with a 5-0 win over Pepperdine under its belt.

Today, the Sun Devils (4-3) are unranked following a three-game losing streak on the road.

After the struggles ASU faced during its trip to Oklahoma, ASU head coach Kevin Boyd pointed to turnovers and execution as issues that his team needs to clean up before Sunday's game against Washington State.

"We were still giving the ball away a lot (last weekend)," Boyd said after practice on Wednesday. "Our heads were in the wrong place for some reason -- we were just messy."

The Sun Devils will need to be sharp on Sunday as they face a Cougars team that is 7-1 with a goal differential of 16-5 in its victories this season.

Washington State relies on a trio of talented strikers to shoulder the scoring load, much like ASU does. The Cougar trifecta of junior Kaitlyn Johnson, senior Kourtney Guetlein and senior Alexis Thode have scored eight of the team's 15 goals.

The Sun Devils have seen 11 of their 18 goals come off the feet of senior forward Cali Farquharson, sophomore forward Aly Moon and redshirt junior attacking midfielder Lucy Lara.

Farquharson's health is in question coming into the weekend after she was limited to 47 minutes during last Friday's game and held out entirely on Sunday.

"We're just going to keep evaluating (Farquharson) each day and see how we can progress her," Boyd said. "It's one of those things that you just wait on. She'll keep doing her rehab and we'll be patient, do an evaluation when it's game time."

Washington State sits atop the Pac-12 standings, followed by Washington (7-1), Arizona (6-1-1), California (6-1-2), Stanford (6-2), Colorado (6-2-1), Oregon State (4-1-2), USC (5-3-1), ASU (4-3), Utah (3-3-3), UCLA (4-4) and Oregon (3-5).

The highest ranked Pac-12 teams in the NSCAA poll are Stanford (8), California (14), Washington (21) and Arizona (25). UCLA, Washington State, USC and ASU all received votes.

The start time for ASU versus Washington State is scheduled for 11 p.m. on Sunday in Tempe. The match will be broadcast on Pac-12 networks.

ASU soccer working to get out of funk with conference play looming

ASU soccer drops third straight game, falls to Oklahoma 2-0

Reach the reporter at rclarke6@asu.edu or follow @RClarkeASU on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×