Behind the Keyboard of Party Promoters

Photo by @dear_winters 

Behind the Keyboard of Party Promoters

College is a stressful time, everyone knows that. For some people, it's a struggle to get through the week, but the promise of an awesome party offers a silver lining to some. But, how does one go about finding the best party?

That’s where Twitter promoters come in.

Twitter promoters build up a following and spend their days tweeting about upcoming parties and events.

Luis Basilio, a 26-year-old Arizona State University graduate, has been promoting since he was 16 years old.

“The opportunities and the things presented to me with the network that I’ve built, it is really awesome,” Basilio says. “I never thought something like social media would help me.”

Basilio goes by the Twitter handle @N0TFAMOUS_YET and has over 6,000 followers.

“ASU really is the reason why I found my calling – not promoting but entertaining,” Basilio says.

Drew Sanchez, an 18-year-old soon to be spring 2016 transfer who goes by the username @trillsanchez, is new to promoting but he believes having a connection is key to getting started in the world of promotion. For him it was Basilio.

“If it wasn’t for Luis these things wouldn’t be happening to me. He’s really been a big mentor,” Sanchez says.

JT Holmes, a 20-year-old soon to be spring 2016 transfer who uses the twitter handle @realJTholmes, agrees with the need to have a connection to get started because it helps one to gain followers.

“You definitely need to know someone when it comes to promoting anything, you need to have a fan base behind you,” Holmes says.

When some students hear about Twitter promoters they can’t help but roll their eyes. People who only have negative comments to say have approached Basilio at multiple parties; Holmes says it comes with the territory.

“People hate on me every day because I do have a following and I’m doing what I’m doing so people are going to find a reason,” Holmes says.

As a new promoter, Sanchez is still getting the hang of things. He says he studies the tweets of Basilio because the wording of a tweet is so important.

“It’s the way you tweet about it,” Sanchez says. “The way you get people to the party. That’s the hardest part about [promoting].”

Holmes says having good content is what draws a user in and Basilio agrees that word choice is crucial.

“It’s all about how you present a party, more so than actually throwing the party,” Basilio says.

Using the wrong wording can hurt a Twitter account Sanchez says, adding, “You lose a lot of followers, a lot of business, if you don’t do it the right way. You can’t be overwhelming with it, it’s an art, honestly.”

Basilio, Sanchez and Holmes also say building a network is just as important.

“Parties are only successful because of the people you know and the connections you have,” Sanchez says.

In a culture centered on smart phones, all three promoters say smart phone applications help out a promoter and are a great resource.

“If anything [apps] actually help us, it puts less weight on my shoulders because they’re doing my job,” Basilio says. “I can partner up with them but still get paid. It’s a win-win for everybody.”

Holmes shares a similar opinion saying, “Any app that you utilize is an advantage.”

Even with the growth of apps in the 21st century, the promoters don’t feel like their roles are promoters are threatened at all by party apps.

“An app is great, an app saves us time, but nothing is more personable than an actual, physical person,” Basilio says.

Sanchez says he believes promotion will still stay at a personal level due to the promoters’ dedication.

“I don’t think big companies can outrun us like that, you need people that will really hustle,” Sanchez says.

As for the future of promotions, the promoters are somewhat conflicted.

Basilio says he thinks promotion will stay at the same level for a while because “the next big thing hasn’t happened.”

Sanchez says he feels promotion will stay at a balance between in-person promotion and online promotion.

“I honestly don’t think flyers will ever go away, it’s one of your best marketing tactics, but it’s going to push more towards social media,” Sanchez says.

Holmes’ viewpoint opposes that of Sanchez because he says everyone is completely on their phones so flyers will eventually be obsolete.

Holmes does believe promotion will be around forever though due to the consistent demand from incoming ASU students who will always have the desire to de-stress and party.

Basilio says he is living in the moment and enjoying being a promoter, but he cannot help but look to the future.

“I feel like being out here in Arizona for the past few years really just changed the way I look at everything, relationships personal or business,” Basilio says. “I always wonder about when it’s all gonna just stop – when I’m gonna stop partying – because I’ve been doing this for a very very very very long time.”

×