Kim Davis should be praised for living her beliefs

US NEWS KENTUCKY-GAYMARRIAGE 5 LX
Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis, with son Nathan Davis, a deputy clerk, reads a statement to the press outside the Rowan County Courthouse on Sept. 14, 2015 in Morehead, Ky. Davis did not interfere with marriage licenses issued after she returned to work.

LGBT couples in Rowan County, Kentucky had a dream and a vision to be married, legally and on paper.

Rowan County clerk, Kim Davis, also had a dream and a vision, a vision to uphold a religious belief system she was invested in as a Christian.

See More: Kim Davis is crashing the party — the Grand Old Party

Because of these similarities, Kim Davis should not have been jailed for refusing to issue marriage licenses (breaking her vision and belief) to these couples to support their own visions and beliefs.

Simply put, Kim Davis should be praised.

Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against the LGBT community. However, if they are able to seek out a marriage license because of guidelines they follow in their life, showing pride in themselves and what they believe, then why couldn’t Kim Davis do the same?

Kim Davis has every right to stand strong by her Christian faith and what the Bible tells her, showing pride in herself and religion.

As the Bible states in Leviticus 18:22 (among other similar verses), “Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind it is abomination.”

Kim Davis followed this verse to its core as one of the over two million Christians in the world, and many would do the same. 

She believes in this as much as gay people believe in their right to be married and live the same life as heterosexuals.

When Kim Davis faced this situation, she followed her beliefs, her conviction so strong she still followed through even knowing the possible consequences (jail time, fines, lawsuits, etc.).

These LGBT couples, acting on their belief for certain rights, should have respected Kim Davis’s belief’s as a heterosexual Christian.

Just because Kim Davis wasn’t willing to give out a marriage license, there are other counties these couples could go to out of respect for Davis’s beliefs.

Davis has even now said that she would be fine with her own deputies issuing marriage licenses as long as they would be devoid of her name and title.

Although the validity of those types of licenses would be in question, it still shows a willingness from Davis to get the job done, avoid insubordination and still keep her religious integrity intact.

Once again, serving five days in jail because of this act is truly ridiculous.

Any jail time at all for a Christian woman, using her freedom of religion is even more asinine when there are potential killers serving less jail time nowadays.

Yet, our justice system is going to stand by sending away Kim Davis for five days into a place consisting of inhabitants that have done much worse than following a Bible verse.

Today, Kim Davis is free and back in her position as Rowan County clerk.

She should be praised, not condemned, for following the courage of her convictions, sticking to her beliefs even when she found herself behind bars. As an elected official, she sits in a great deal of power.

Kudos to her for acting with faith in an even greater power.

Unholy matrimony: the good gay marriage can bring for Republicans

Marriage equality the smallest barrier for LGBT community

Reach the columnist at spencerhann1995@gmail.com or follow @spencer_hann on Twitter.

×