Having never seen last year’s hit adaptation “The Maze Runner” or a single trailer for it’s sequel, I went into “The Scorch Trials” not knowing what to expect. I was delighted to find a taut and entertaining dystopian zombie thriller that showcases its talented young cast and makes for an incredibly enjoyable film.

Picking up where the first entry in the series left off, “The Scorch Trials” finds former Maze Runner Thomas and his friends still on the run from the evil corporation WCKD. This time around though, the kids must face “the scorch”: a massive desert that is what’s left of the world they once knew. Though the journey to salvation is tough, Thomas and his group are forced to brave the elements in hopes that there is still some humanity left in the world.

Dylan O’Brien is quite impressive as Thomas, who at times feels like the Rick Grimes to this teenaged cast’s Walking Dead-eqsue group. O’Brien brings a toughness to the role that balances out his character’s exhaustion and anger with the world around him. Ki Hong Lee and Thomas Brodie-Sanster are also excellent as Thomas’ friends Minho and Newt. Both characters find themselves adjusting to the new world but make quick transitions to the “kill or be killed” mindset required to survive.

Joining the cast for the sequel are two stars from two of television’s biggest shows. “Game of Thrones” star Aiden Gillen plays Janson, a WCKD operative who will do everything in his power to catch Thomas and his friends. On the contrary, “Breaking Bad” alumnus Giancarlo Esposito joins the cast as Jorge, a man who seeks to help the group reach safety — even if he does have his own ulterior motives. Both provide excellent turns.

While “The Scorch Trials” is an adaptation of a young adult novel, in no way does the film feel like it was meant exclusively for a younger audience. The themes in play are complicated ones, and the characters must go through some of the typical zombie movie tropes and plot points including dealing with what happens when a friend turns or gets bitten. However, the film always handles them maturely and the scenes are done in a remarkably effective way that will hit both younger and older audiences alike.

The same can be said for the way audiences get to know the characters. Though fans of the series will surely have more invested, those not in the know the film still manages to be quite accessible. Though one may not know the characters or what’s at stake, director Wes Ball manages to make audiences care about them regardless. 

At times, however, the film’s place in its larger universe is very much felt. Although it manages to stand on it’s own, there is no doubt that what’s on screen is just the middle chapter in a larger story. This is felt in the film’s ending, which seems in a rush to tie up this film’s loose ends as well as set the stage for it’s 2017 continuation “ The Death Cure.” That said, “The Scorch Trial” hits the ground running and doesn’t let up. Clocking in at just over 130 minutes, the film covers a lot of ground and although it isn’t that long, viewers will surely feel exhausted once the end credits role. There’s hardly a dull moment and Ball does his best to keep the audience’s adrenaline running along with his characters.

For fans of the series, “The Scorch Trials” should not be missed. For people that aren't already fans, the film is absolutely more than worth a watch. “The Scorch Trials” feels a bit like “Resident Evil”- lite with WCKD taking the place of the Umbrella Corporation. It’s a fun, action-packed zombie thriller that puts its own unique spin on the apocalyptic subgenre.

Related links:

Beginning, middle and eh: Promise and peril in popular book franchises

'Fear the Walking Dead' may scare you to death if boredom doesn't kill you first

Reach the reporter at: seweinst@asu.edu or on Twitter: @S_Weinstein95

×