A raging atmosphere of local talent will hit Tempe Friday as ASU's The Underground Foundation gears up to host its third house show of the semester. 

Literature sophomore and TUF Chief of Staff Kirsten Webber is positive that the upcoming show will present even more noise and music than the first couple of events.  

"This show will be more punk and noise based, which offers a more loud and rowdy show environment," Webber said. "There will definitely be an increase in the amount of moshing and head-thrashing from the last show."

Philosophy sophomore Sam Thomas, aka the Emperor of Sound, is generally the sound guy. For this event, he was the main coordinator because he wanted a change in the music lineup and to bring something that would be interesting to him. 

"I wanted to book a noise rock band because that's the area that I'm more interested in that something grabs me by the coattails and tells me to do something with my life," Thomas said. "I think that a lot of people need that initiative, that shock out of this sort of apathy of the daily life that permeates around every single day. We go through this monotonous, boring routine and we need an event, something to spark a flame to cause something disturbing but necessary and I think that will be the show."

For only $5, students and the surrounding community will enjoy a night to remember with the following six local bands.

The Smiling Faces

You may have seen this punk band's CD around campus. Singer and guitarist Eric Gallagher explained how often he's on foot promoting the band's "Too Many Mikes" demo around ASU's Tempe campus, Roosevelt Row and Mill Avenue. If you can't make it to this Friday's house show to see The Smiling Faces, Gallagher notes that the band will be playing at Rogue Bar every Tuesday night for the rest of September. 

Ancient Egypt

This psychedelic and experimental group has taken a little break from house shows because of the heat, according to the singer/songwriter Sean Gordon. However, Ancient Egypt will be cooling down the audience this Friday with a performance that hits like a wave.  

Gordon said he likes that this house party is a medium in which listeners under the age of 21 have an opportunity to hear his band's music.

JJCnV

JJCnV is another punk band that will definitely make you not only relate to its songs, but also dance along to them. Bassist and singer Pete Hinz described how his trio compares to the other five bands. 

"From what we know of the other bands, JJCnV is the only one with a female guitarist and a male bassist," Hinz said. "In the stereotypical rockist world, these roles are flipped like a hamburger on a fiery grill of gender coals. Plus we cry a lot more than the other bands."

RNA

Drummer and singer Zebadiah Scibelli-Gotlieb is one half of the duo that makes up RNA, with guitarist Jeremy Peterson taking the reins on the rest of the group's music. According to Scibelli-Gotlieb, the band is more along the lines of the British-esque genre of shoegaze than the other five bands. 

"We decided to play the TUF house show because small intimate venues best suit our sound," Scibelli-Gotlieb said. "There is also an interesting mix of different musical styles at this show. All of the bands on this show are doing their own thing."

Heatstroke

Heatstroke's punk rock and hardcore sound is inviting and edgy at the same time. With a first listen, the lyrics, voice and rhythm allow the audience to enter a trance and potentially feel an out-of-body experience. Get ready to do just that by watching them perform this Friday.

Consumer

Unorthodox hardcore band Consumer offers the upcoming crowd a night of action and sound. The band's experimental taste takes it to the next level in allowing fans to lose themselves in the music. 

Singer Sean Rooney promises to perform this weekend with his love for jumping and hyping up the crowd. He not only talks highly about the sound that Consumer will deliver, but about the other bands that will also be present. 

"House shows attract people who are like us," Rooney said. "You can come check out our wild crazy stage acts. You can come check out RNA's crazy instrumentation and discipline. You can come JJCnV's wackiness. Come check out The Smiling Faces' dry sarcastic angst. Come hear Heatstrokes' punk rockness or Ancient Egypt's psychedelic whatever awesomeness. Really, there is not a reason not to come."

The event is taking place Friday, Sept. 11 at 839. S. Farmer Ave. in Tempe.  For more information, visit the event page for the show.  

The Underground Foundation invites all to first show of the semester

Underground Foundation comes above ground to welcome new members

Reach the reporter at ryan.santistevan@asu.edu or follow @ryanerica18 on Twitter.

×