ASU men's and women's swim teams cruise to victory over UNLV

Kallyn Barkey swims the 200 individual medley at the ASU women's swimming meet on Thursday, Oct. 22, 2015, at the Mona Plummer Aquatic Complex in Tempe, Ariz. The Sun Devils lost the meet to the Washington State Cougars, 115-90.

Propelled by a strong start, the ASU  women' swim teams defeated UNLV 181-117 and the men were victorious 202-95  on Saturday morning.

The women improved their record to 2-1, and the men also earned their second victory of the season. 

The women opened the meet by capturing 200-yard medley relay. 

The men's team countered with a first place finish of their own in the same event with a strong contribution from sophomore Patrick Park anchoring the relay team. 

Park went on to take first place in the 200 butterfly event and the 100-yard freestyle event en route to earning his team a total of 29 points.

"I have just been training on a different level." Park said. "I have been racing with a chip on my shoulder after I sprained my ankle a week before Nationals last season. That was a humbling experience and it really encouraged me to get even better for this season."

Park's best race today came in the 200 butterfly where he made the B-cut by over a second with a time of 1:46.94. The National B-cut for the 200 butterfly is 1:47.99.

Both ASU men's and women's teams took first place in each event starting from the first event through the eighth event until Lina Rathsack of UNLV took first place in the 100 yard breaststroke. Heading into the first break, ASU had a sturdy lead on both sides with a 78-53 lead for the women and an 85-45 lead on the men's side.

"The women got to do some 100's which they haven't done before which is great." Coach Bob Bowman said. "We are finishing our races really well and out-touching our opponents at the finish line."

While the swim teams were resting, the ASU and UNLV dive teams had their competition.

ASU sophomore Mara Aiacoboae took first place in the three-meter dive for the women, and sophomore David Hoffer earned first place in the men's one-meter dive.

After the brief intermission, the ASU swim team earned first place in the 100-yard freestyle for both the men and women with strong performances by junior Alysha Bush and sophomore Patrick Park.

"Our performance today had a lot to do with our mentality." Bush said. "After Thursday's meet, we had to refocus and channel all of our energy again in today's meet."

ASU continued their strong performance by placing first in each event starting from the women's 100 yard freestyle to the men's 100 yard butterfly except for the one loss in the women's 200 yard breaststroke.

During the second intermission for the swim team, the ASU dive team won on both the men and women's side. Mara Aiacoboae took first place in the one-meter dive and  sophomore Heikki Makikallio won the three-meter dive for the men.

Coming out of the second break, ASU continued to dominate in the final four events, winning three out of four. UNLV won by a margin of one-tenth of a second in the men's 200 yard freestyle relay.

The Sun Devils will look to continue their momentum against USC on Friday, Nov. 6. at 11 a.m. at the Mona Plummer Aquatic Center in Tempe.

Reach the reporter at Graham.Paul@asu.edu or follow @GrahamASUpress on Twitter.

×