Disney awakens the Force, releases final Star Wars trailer

star wars

"Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens" is set to open on Dec. 18, but fans got a taste of the action in a newly released trailer. (IMDB)

There was a great disturbance in the Force on Monday night when Disney released the final trailer for “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” during the halftime of the Philadelphia Eagles matchup with the New York Giants. 

While the trailer is packed with confusing voice overs and tons of footage of new characters, here are my top five moments of the newest look at the galaxy far, far away.

Han comforts Leia

Late in the trailer, there is a mash-up of action shots. Tie fighters in battle, pilots reporting for duty, and massive explosions all add to the chaos. Buried with these is a quick shot of Han hugging a very concerned and worried-looking Leia. Although the context wasn’t revealed, clearly the characters are in jeopardy, and I can’t wait to see what it is that has the Princess so upset, as well as see Han and Leia back in action.

Finn and Poe Dameron meet

Also late in the trailer is a brief interaction between John Boyega’s Finn (more on him in a moment) and Oscar Issac’s Poe Dameron. While not much is known about either character, we do knowPoe is an X-Wing pilot who fights against the First Order. Seeing him and Finn work together means they must fight for the same side, and it’s fun to entertain the idea that perhaps they could become this generation’s Luke and Han.

The Millennium Falcon chase

This scene was featured briefly in previous teasers, but it appears as if it will be a major scene in the film. Frankly, I couldn’t be more excited for it. Seeing Han and Chewie flying around like they used to in the Falcon would be an absolute delight for any Star Wars fan to see.  It looks like J.J. Abrams may have a healthy serving of exactly that lined up in the new film.

Kylo Ren Speaks (again)

Ever since the first trailer was released last Thanksgiving, fans have been fascinated by Kylo Ren and his tri-bladed light saber. Beyond that and an ominus shot of his mask, nobody knew much about him, until he finally spoke towards the middle of the newest trailer. Sure, he delivered the only words in the short teaser, but it was awesome to finally hear him deliver some serious dialogue. His voice sounded almost like a Darth Vader-lite and him looking telling Vader’s burnt mask that his plans are “to finish what you started” can’t bode well for the universe. I am looking forward to getting to know as much about the new Sith lord as possible before the movie comes out in December.

Finn faces Kylo

The trailer concludes with a brief shot of Finn wielding a blue lightsaber in an unknown snowy environment about to go head-to-head in a duel with Kylo Ren. After seeing tons of footage of the new characters seemingly discovering themselves and the old, familiar characters being mentors, I can’t think of a stronger way to end the final trailer. Seeing our new hero prepare to face the new villain is enough to get any Star Wars fan hyped, but by ending the trailer with that bit just makes the preview that much more of a tease. Well played, Disney. 

Reach the reporter at seweinst@asu.edu or on Twitter @S_Weinstein95

×