The EDGE: ASU football looks to rebound against UCLA

Do the Sun Devils have what it takes to pull off the upset?

The Arizona State football team chants their alma mater after the game against University of Southern California Saturday, Sept. 26, 2015 at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe. The Trojans defeated the Sun Devils 42-14.

Quarterbacks

Edge: UCLA

How often does a true freshman in the Pac-12 look better than a redshirt senior? Not often, but that is the case between UCLA's Josh Rosen and ASU's Mike Bercovici this season. 

Rosen got off to a hot start in throwing for 964 yards and seven touchdowns with four picks this season, and despite never facing a pressure defense like ASU's he should be able to hold his own.

Bercovici has struggled this season, particularly with ball security. He's thrown for 1,071 yards and seven touchdowns this season, but added two interceptions and put the ball on the ground a whopping five times, which is tied for second-most in the country.

Running backs

Edge: UCLA

Simply put, UCLA redshirt junior running back Paul Perkins is the best at is position in the Pac-12. 

ASU head coach Todd Graham even thinks so.

Perkins has rushed for 514 yards and six touchdowns through his first four games after leading the Pac-12 in rushing yards last season, including a three-touchdown performance against Arizona last week.

ASU does counter with some pretty good talent in sophomore Demario Richard, who is coming off of his third consecutive 100-yard game. Behind him will be sophomore Kalen Ballage, who will likely see added touches after making his season debut last week against USC. He had previously been dealing with mononucleosis. 

Wide receivers

Edge: UCLA

UCLA's wide receiver unit is comprised of quick, vertical threats such as senior Jordan Payton (19 catches, 319 yards and three touchdowns this season) and junior Thomas Duarte (12 catches, 173 yards and two touchdowns). They're thrived this season off of getting separation and making the passing windows easy for Rosen.

ASU, on the other hand, has had the complete opposite. Former UCLA wide receiver Devin Lucien has yet to make an impact and develop chemistry with Bercovici, and other receivers simply haven't been able to get a quick release and get open, failing to run crisp routes. 

ASU senior D.J. Foster could break a school record with his first catch Saturday, making it 45 consecutive games (every game of his career) with a catch. The previous record was former ASU receiver John Jefferson with 44. 

Offensive line

Edge: UCLA

It's been the good, the bad and the ugly this season for ASU's offensive line. They've shown progress in small spurts, particularly inside in the run game with Christian Westerman, Nick Kelly and Vi Teofilo.

The bad? Injuries have plagued this offensive line. Kelly has a wrap on his hand after leaving for part of the USC game, and tackles Evan Goodman and Billy McGehee have each struggled with nagging injuries.

The ugly: ASU's offensive line has given up 14 sacks this season. While part of this is due to the issues addressed above with receivers struggling to get open, the Sun Devils have simply not connected yet to match expectations.

By the way, UCLA's Rosen has only been put on his back for a sack three times this season.

Defensive line

Edge: UCLA

It's no secret that UCLA misses junior defensive tackle Eddie Vanderdoes, who is out for the season, but they do still have a potential game-breaker in junior defensive lineman Kenny Clark. Clark has 22 tackles this season (1.5 for loss) and a half sack, and could potentially bottle up Richard and the rest of the ASU running game up the middle.

ASU's defensive front line has been solid thus far, particularly with the improved play of junior defensive tackle Ami Latu. They were the defense's strong suit last week, bottling up the USC run game. This is moot, however, if the line can't open up rush gaps for ASU to bring the pressure.

Linebackers

Edge: ASU

ASU's linebacking corps has been solid for most of the senior, particularly three-year starter Salamo Fiso. Sophomore Christian Sam has gotten off to a good start to the season, and redshirt junior Laiu Moeakiola has been solid despite having some lapses last week. The one issue here is at the "Devilbacker" position, which has generated zero sacks thus far through four games.

UCLA's linebackers haven't been bad, but haven't been great either. Two-way stud Myles Jack is out for the season and now it will be up to the Bruins to find a way to hold firm if ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell decides to increase the tempo.

Defensive backs

Edge: Push

UCLA has also lost a vital part of its secondary this season, as cornerback Fabian Moreau will not return this season. That said, they officially have star Ismael Adams back following a suspension. Adams torched ASU last season, scoring two touchdowns on a pick-six and a kickoff return to begin the second half.

ASU's secondary (redshirt senior Jordan Simone in particular) got exposed by USC's athletes. They still have experience, and freshman Kareem Orr has done a solid job filling in for sophomore Armand Perry. But the depth at the spot is wearing thin, as evidenced by redshirt junior running back Gump Hayes working at the position this week in practice.

Special teams

Edge: UCLA

ASU's special teams took a giant step back against USC with a myriad of boneheaded plays and errors. Junior kicker Zane Gonzalez missed two field goal attempts for the first time since his freshman season, junior punter Matt Haack and the punt coverage team gave up a big return to Adoree' Jackson and Hayes mindlessly took the ball out of the end zone on a kickoff and fumbled at his own 5-yard line. 

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×