'A Christmas Story: The Musical' brings Christmas cheer to Gammage

"A Christmas Story: The Musical" debuted at Gammage Tuesday, Nov. 24.

In the midst of nearly perfect weather and palm trees, ASU Gammage has found a way to get Arizonans into the Holiday Spirit. This week, Broadway’s “A Christmas Story: The Musical” premiered on the Gammage stage to an energetic full house.

The musical is making a pit stop in Tempe until Sunday, Nov. 29 on its first national tour.

Most folks can recall the 1983 hilarious comedy film adaptation of “A Christmas Story," which starred Peter Billingsley, and the musical has achieved a similar level of success.

In 2013, the production based of the film was nominated for six Drama Desk Awards, two Outer Critics Circle Awards, and three Tony Awards including, “Best Musical,” “Best Book of a Musical” and “Best Original Score.”

Even though the musical’s critical acclaim sells itself, it’s still important to note that the musical is laugh-out-loud funny from start to finish. Much of the semi-suggestive humor in the show is stuck in at the most unexpected points, to keep the family-friendly title constantly on the edge.

The plot revolves around the little boy, Ralphie, desperately anticipating Christmas Day and hoping to get a BB gun under his Christmas tree. Most of us can relate to the feeling of having that one gift that makes or breaks Christmas. Even more so, almost every one of us can recall the days when we tried everything to act like model children when we wanted something.

Ralphie encompasses what it means to be an average young boy: causing trouble, radiating cuteness and sometimes standing up to the bullies.

The unique play mirrors the film as it is narrated by the real-life character Jean Shepherd. Shepherd recounts the stories as an older man looking back fondly on his childhood. The character Ralphie was originally based off of the childhood of the late Shepherd (known to many as “Shep”), who was one of the most popular radio personalities, storytellers and actors of the twentieth century.

The narration gives a lot of the adult audience the opportunity to reflect on how Christmas contributed to their childhood and happiness.

On of the best characteristics of the musical is that the show certainly doesn’t water down the humor, mischievousness, and unpredictability that accompanies the life of a little boy.

Not only does touch the child in all of us, but it brings out that Christmas spirit that only floats around for a little over a month out of each year. For some people we know, they make sure it never ends, but that’s beside the point.

Some fans who came to see the musical at Gammage were so excited that they decided to ditch the dress-up wear for light-up elf suits. In this case, it was acceptable because we need to get out of our adult-ish boxes and be a kid at Christmas again.

Gammage even provided a "Christmas Story" themed photo booth for fans to enjoy before the musical began.

“A Christmas Story” is worth the ticket because the gut-busting musical is so funny that it will most definitely steal the hearts of people no matter what they choose to celebrate this season.

For more information on A Christmas Story at ASU Gammage, and to purchase tickets for this weekend, click here.

Related links:

Reach the reporter at kkingsum@asu.edu or follow @kaylakingsumner on Twitter.

×