ASU football looks young in Antonio Longino's absence

​ASU could turn to its young talent to replace the injured Antonio Longino

Redshirt senior linebacker Antonio Longino (32) celebrates with teammates after the game against Colorado on Saturday, Oct. 10, 2015, at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe. The Sun Devils defeated the Buffaloes 48-23.

ASU football's disappointing season has been in large part due to a series of nagging injuries to key players.

The Sun Devils (4-5) may have to account for yet another Saturday, as redshirt senior "Devilbacker" Antonio Longino is doubtful to play with a hamstring injury. Longino was in a green non-contact jersey Wednesday.

In his place will likely be redshirt freshman Ismael Murphy-Richardson, who registered his first career solo sack on Saturday against Washington State.

ASU coach Todd Graham praised the performance out of Murphy-Richardson, who is expected to start in the all-important position against Washington.

"Oh, man, I thought Ismael had his best game," Graham said Monday. "Really proud of him. Really proud. I mean, he was really — he was after the quarterback most of the night ... But yeah, he's earned more playing time, and a guy that's really starting to learn and come on."

Murphy-Richardson, a former 3-star prospect out of Desert Edge High School (Goodyear), said his first season at the college level has been a learning curve.

"The hardest part is just transitioning from high school since I didn't play (while redshirting) last year," he said. "Getting used to in-game game speed, knowing my assignments and executing."

The "Devilbacker" role primarily focuses on rushing the passer in order to create turnovers in Graham's hybrid defensive scheme. Doing so would be key against Huskies freshman quarterback Jake Browning, who has thrown just six interceptions this season.

"It's vital," Murphy-Richardson said. "I think that's my main export. That's my ticket, I guess. That's how I got on the field, so hopefully it can keep me on the field."

Co-defensive coordinator Keith Patterson said turnovers, the expected end product of solid "Devilbacker" play, will be the key to ending ASU's three-game losing streak on Saturday.

"It's going to boil down to who creates turnovers and takes the ball away from the other team," Patterson said. "It (starts with rushing the passer). We've got to make (Browning) move his feet, pull the ball and run because when it's chaotic on him we've got to keep him in the pocket and under duress."

Practice Notes:

- Stretch Song: "Paradise City" by Guns N' Roses

- The team was in shorts Wednesday, and did not take part in the traditional team tempo 11-on-11 session open to the media.

- Arizona Cardinals general manager Steve Keim was among those in attendance, as well as a scout for the NFL's Green Bay Packers.

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×