ASU men's basketball falls in overtime to Marquette in Legends Classic final

The Sun Devils came up short in Brooklyn

Junior forward Savon Goodman, right, fights for control of the ball in a game against Kennesaw State on Wednesday, Nov. 18, 2015, at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe. The Sun Devils took down the Owls 91-53.

Entering this week's FanDuel Legends Classic, coach Bobby Hurley said it was important for the ASU men's basketball team team to compete for a title to find themselves and know the feeling. He put the team in the position to win one, but they fell just short.

The Sun Devils (3-2) fell 78-73 to Marquette in overtime. Four ASU players fouled out of the game and there were 51 fouls called between the two teams.

ASU's offense then got into a rut it could not get out of. After scoring its fourth point of the game, ASU missed its next nine shots, falling behind 11-4.

The Sun Devils were able to catch up, though, and the two teams went back and forth in a wild first half that concluded with ASU in the lead after a buzzer-beating three by sophomore guard Tra Holder.

With over six and a half minutes left in the game, Jacobsen fouled out going for a loose ball, ending his night with a mere four points. As the tallest player on ASU's roster, the Sun Devils had trouble defending the interior while he was out of the game.

Immediately following Jacobsen's permanent exit, the Golden Eagles went on a run, scoring eight of the next 10 points to cut the Sun Devil lead to two.

In a tie game, Marquette had the basketball with the ability to hold the ball until the final few seconds. Freshman guard Traci Carter missed, giving ASU a final chance. But, when junior forward Savon Goodman grabbed the rebound, he hustled down court and air-balled a long leaner with five seconds left, giving the Golden Eagles one last chance.

Thankfully for Goodman and the Sun Devils, Carter missed again, sending the game into overtime.

The foul trouble that cost Jacobsen his night came back to bite ASU even more in overtime, especially with Oleka leaving the game with an injury.

Both Goodman and Atwood fouled out of the game with the score within reach, forcing ASU to use an all-guard lineup in the game's final minute, but the game was a free throw contest by then, as Marquette was able to put the game away and send ASU back to Tempe empty-handed.

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

×