Ohio State overwhelms ASU wrestling in Columbus

The Sun Devils started off well but couldn't keep up with the Buckeyes

ASU wrestling's Blake Stauffer takes control early in his match against Roadrunner Sean Pollock on Saturday, Jan. 18, 2015, at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe. The Sun Devils went on to win against the Roadrunners 28-6.

ASU wrestling started strong, but ultimately was overwhelmed by Ohio State in Columbus Friday night, falling 28-9.

The Sun Devils (4-3) were led off by sophomore Jacen Petersen, who defeated redshirt junior Justin Kresevic 10-4. Soon after that match, freshman Zachary Smith was pinned by redshirt junior Bo Jordan to put the Buckeyes ahead 6-3. 

ASU would eventually tie the score back up when redshirt senior Blake Stauffer beat redshirt sophomore Jack Rozema in which Stauffer jumped out to a 5-0 lead and never looked back. 

After that, the Sun Devils dropped five straight matches to Ohio State. In the beginning of the losing streak, ASU kept the matches close and lost by a couple of points as redshirt senior Josh DaSilveira fell to senior Mark Martin 8-5 in a match that went back and forth. 

Freshman Tanner Hall was edged redshirt junior Nick Tavanello 3-2 in a match that went to the wire as Tavanello scored two points in the last five seconds.

The Sun Devils faced a 12-6 deficit entering senior Ares Carpio's match against redshirt sophomore Nathan Tomasello, who took care of Carpio 16-6. 

Ohio State senior Johni DiJulius 16-0 defeated senior Cord Coronado in one of the night's most lopsided matches. 

Trailing 25-6, senior Matt Kraus toppled redshirt freshman Cody Burcher in one of the evening's final matches.

The Sun Devils host Boise State next at Wells Fargo Arena on Sunday at 7 p.m.

Reach the reporter at osoussi@asu.edu or follow @omarksoussi on Twitter.

×