ASU wrestling beats Campbell and Drexel at West Virginia Duals

Five Sun Devil wrestlers remain undefeated after the season opener

Freshmam Tanner Hall, right, competes against freshman Chace Eskam during an intrasquad match on Friday, Oct. 30, 2015, at Ritches Wrestling Complex in Tempe. Hall defeated Eskam 3-1.

ASU wrestling opened the 2015-16 season with a pair of wins at the West Virginia Duals Sunday, topping Campbell 29-6 and Drexel 27-6 before losing to West Virginia 22-14.

After senior Ares Carpio and junior Dalton Brady dropped their first two matches against Campbell, the Sun Devils then won the next eight in a row.

Seniors Matt Kraus, Blake Stauffer and Josh DaSilveria, sophomores Robbie Mathers, Oliver Pierce, and Jacen Petersen, freshmen Zachary Smith and Tanner Hall all added tallies to the win column.

In ASU's next matchup with Drexel, the Sun Devils picked up seven single victories and only two losses.

The ran into a speed bump against host West Virginia, quickly falling into a 9-0 hole against the Mountaineers that proved to be insurmountable.

Kraus earned a win to bring ASU within three at 9-6, but senior Preston McCalmon struggled after getting bumped up from 165 pounds  to the 174 pound weight class.

A victory from Stauffer got the score to 16-12 but after two ASU losses, the Mountaineers widened the lead to 11 and won comfortably, 22-14.

Mathers, Petersen, Stauffer and Hall all finished undefeated and carried the team throughout the entire meet. .

The Sun Devils will compete in their first home meet of the season against Northern Colorado on Thursday, Nov. 12 at 5 p.m. at Wells Fargo Arena.

Reach the reporter at osoussi@asu.edu or follow @omarksoussi on Twitter.

×