Intolerant Gov. Ducey tells world's neediest to stay away from Arizona

WORLD NEWS EUROPE-MIGRANTS-FERRY 10 WA
Syrian refugees arriving to the port of Tripoli, Lebanon, unload their luggage from a bus, as they prepare to board the ferry Lady Su, which makes a twelve-hour journey to Tasucu, Turkey, on September 21, 2015.

In light of recent horrific events in Paris, 23 governors have called to halt the process of Syrian refugees entering the U.S. 

Arizona Governor Doug Ducey is amongst those states and has asked the federal government to review its resettlement policies and not resettle any refugees — from any country — in Arizona.

We disagree with the detrimental effects on innocent lives that the request brings. Although it is understandable that individuals are fearful of another terrorist attack occurring within the U.S., to label an entire section of the neediest people in the world as terrorists showcases ignorant intolerance that is simply cruel. Islamophobia should never be encouraged or promoted, especially by our government.

This is another classic example of letting fear and intolerance affect the way our government is operating and the choices our elected officials are making. We Arizonans need not be known as hating people from other countries and cultures, yet our government keeps telling those looking for a better life to stay away.

As President Barack Obama said, “The people who are fleeing Syria are the most harmed by terrorism; they are the most vulnerable as a consequence of civil war and strife… We do not close our hearts to these victims of such violence and somehow start equating the issue of refugees with the issue of terrorism.”

The refugees that apply to be admitted to the U.S. are “subject to more scrutiny and background checks that any other group admitted to the United States,” according to the Washington Post. They are subjected to “health checks, repeated biometric verification of identity, several layers of biographical and background screening, and in-person interviews.” 

In fact, the Post reported that “multiple agencies are involved in the process, including the FBI's Terrorist Screening Center, the State Department, the Department of Homeland Security, the National Counterterrorism Center and the Department of Defense.” Simply put, any educated individual would be able to determine that the fear of 23 U.S. governors' is misplaced. Those that have turned cruel let fear blind them to the biggest human displacement since World War II.

While it has been reported that the horrific Paris attacks were committed by members of ISIS, the U.S. should not assume these occurrences will happen if we open our nation to refugees. Immigrating from Syria to France is a far easier process than going through the intensive selection process the U.S. has in place.

Similarly, we must not discriminate and let prejudice affect anyone of Islamic beliefs that currently live in the U.S. No one individual is the same, and religion and terrorism is not one entity.

The U.S. faced a similar dilemma during World War II, when they turned away Jewish refugees in the midst of their peril, as the number seeking refugee status was far more than the number of Jewish refugees admitted. If we turn away refugees, especially those from Syria, we may allow history to repeat itself and be party to another atrocity. Even if one refugee is rejected, that is one human life that we have allowed to be lost.

The individuals that have let fear rule them have made their voices louder than the people that see the error and cruelty in this proposition. In order to make a change, those that believe refugees should be welcome need to voice their opinion to drown out the intolerance. 

People our age need to speak out against this injustice. We all should call governors, city officials and public figures alike and oppose their intolerance. It is time for us to prove that not every U.S. citizen believes the refugees must stay in a war zone. 

×