'Paper with Personality' to showcase professional artists, Marvel drawings and ASU talent at Old Main

Paper with personality

Picture a ballroom filled with posters made by the blood and sweat of professionals and ASU students alike. Each tells their own story through personal graphic design. This is "Paper with Personality."

President of Graphic Design Senior Student Association (GDSSA) and graphic design senior Dillon Johnson said that although the Graphic Design Student Association (GDSA) works with the GDSSA, the senior group of students is the mind behind the show. 

"We call it the poster show and auction because of the way it started," Johnson said. "It hasn't always been this auction. Eight years ago, it was just meant to showcase the many cities that students went to for internships, and then it ended up being a real big success. The second year is when they started doing it for profit and we would get posters donated from all around the world — big agencies, small agencies, famous designers, illustrators and book makers."

Although the show is put on by graphic design students, most of the posters sold are by professionals, including professors and local artists. Seniors start the year off by selecting a social issue for them to create a campaign around and bring awareness to. This theme is then used to design a clock. These senior clocks will be featured in the show. 

"You get to see what we do every year, so people get a better understanding of what the actual graphic design program does here," Johnson said. "It's also a chance to see that graphic design means a bunch of different things and it's not just one type of style. It is a big community that has a bunch of different facets within it that you can actually be a part of."  

Tomorrow is the big day, come to Old Main on Tempe campus and celebrate #PaperWithPersonality. It starts at 6pm, you won’t want to miss it!

Posted by ASU GDSA on Monday, November 16, 2015

Famous featured artists include Michael Bierut, Seymour Chwast and Aaron Draplin. Several different designers donated famous movie posters, Marvel series posters and custom screen printed posters. There are posters there for any taste and any budget.

Graphic design junior Morgan Clark said she has attended the poster show since her freshman year. 

"I went my freshman year and sophomore year as an onlooker," Clark said. "It's all so impressive and well put together. Now being behind the scenes and watching it you never notice how much work actually goes into it. The tiniest little thing like measurements and margins on the posters. It's very impressive to now watch how each designer puts it together so clean."

Criminal justice sophomore Megan Etsitty said she goes to classes downtown, but lives in Tempe, so the location of the event is perfect.

"I would go and support the graphic students," Etsitty said. "My friend is always talking about how important the field is."

Posters will be sold as cheaply as $15 but prices increase in increments of $2. All funds will go to the senior design students to put together their end of the year art show. The show will take place in Old Main's Carson ballroom on Tuesday from 6 to 8:30 p.m.

Related links:

Pixar directing animator talks 'The Good Dinosaur' before its Thanksgiving release

Ghosts, time capsules and literature: A history of the Virginia G. Piper Writer's Center

Reach the reporter at rsantist@asu.edu or follow @ryanerica18 on Twitter.

×